Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1456
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sensor" Previous topic | Next topic
phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Mon 15-Mar-10 04:56 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sensor"

Norwich, US

Is there any risk of damage to the sensor by long 4+ minute exposures?

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen.
Minor White
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 15-Mar-10 07:30 PM
26710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

No.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 15-Mar-10 07:36 PM
26085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bruce,

No! Assuming you don't aim the camera at the sun and make a 4+ minute exposure which would be extremely over exposued anyway.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Mon 15-Mar-10 09:33 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sensor"
In response to Reply # 2

Norwich, US

I went on youtube and watched Harold Davis lecture on Night Photography ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdn3gJxSzew&feature=related ) and want to try some of the techniques he described. Some had 4 to 8 minute exposures. Audince member asked that question but he couldn't answer for all cameras. Figured I'd better ask some one first.

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen.
Minor White

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Tue 16-Mar-10 02:42 AM
#4. "RE: Sensor"
In response to Reply # 3

Norwich, US

Tried night for first time his way. Falls were 30 secs f5 asa3200
Harbor 5 secs f5 asa32000 wanted to use 200asa but it was cold drizzle and no moon at 10PM.

Minor White

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1456 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.