nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #1450
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
bugaboo2   Alamogordo, US  Registered since 03rd Feb 2010 Mon 15-Mar-10 01:25 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Lens"

I just this past week purchased a AFS 55-200VR lens from Amazon, and I have some questions concerning this lens. First, it seems to hunt for focus much more than my 18-55, and the pictures don't seem to be quite as sharp when zoomed all the way out to 200mm. Also, it seems to be a little noisier than my 18-55. I really like the options this lens has given me, and I hope to be able to purchase another lens late this year early next year, hoping to have $1200 to $1500 to spend. In the meantime, I may try and get a good portrait lens, so i will be researching that. Cheers

Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member  Nevis, US  Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006 Mon 15-Mar-10 06:39 PM
3454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

When zoomed out to 200mm and hand holding, you need to make sure you're using a fast enough shutter speed to stop camera motion blur. The rule of thumb would be 1/(lens focal length x 1.5) as a shutter speed. For example, at 200mm the minimum shutter speed would be 1/(200 x 1.5) = 1/300th second.

Alan

bugaboo2   Alamogordo, US  Registered since 03rd Feb 2010 Tue 16-Mar-10 10:19 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks, that would explain some of the pictures. I am currently researching a tripod, trying to get a decent one without breaking the bank.

Dave

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Tue 16-Mar-10 05:07 PM
27613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Dave,

Have you checked the Tripod forum?
Remember that if you are shooting a moving subject you will need a fast shutter speed to freeze the subjects motion, unless you use the panning technique.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bugaboo2   Alamogordo, US  Registered since 03rd Feb 2010 Fri 19-Mar-10 03:53 PM
#4. "RE: New Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

I haven't yet, but will certainly do so.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #1450 Previous topic | Next topic