Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1427
View in linear mode

Subject: " Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?" Previous topic | Next topic
moresnowdays Registered since 14th Jan 2010Mon 08-Mar-10 07:31 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
" Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"

Alder Creek, US

I wanted to ask a quick one on a couple of noises I hadn't noticed before. The first one I think I figured out. Every time I half pressed the shutter release the lens would make an odd clunk, and then again when it was released. I don't mean the real quiet sound of the focus motor, but an initial clunk when it engaged, and then when released. I put the lens on my D40 and it still did it. I then thought maybe it was the VR. When I turned it off by the switch on the barrel the clunking stopped. When I turned it back on it was still gone. Put it back and D5000 and problem seems gone.

The second noise is from the the D5000 itself. When the shutter is released there is the typical noises of the mirror and other parts that do there thing in there. However, at the same time, there is a odd twang sound. Not sure how to describe it other than it twangs like a spring rub, or some part maybe not quiet damped right. It's not terribly loud, but didn't notice it before, and my D40 doesn't do it. Although I have had a couple of older film SLR's make similar noise.

Question is, does these noises sound normal (no pun intended)? the D5000 18-55mm kit was Nikon refurb from Adorama, so I thought I would ask before the 90 day warranty went up incase.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?
Asgard Administrator
08th Mar 2010
moresnowdays
08th Mar 2010
MEMcD Moderator
08th Mar 2010
moresnowdays
08th Mar 2010
elana
29th Apr 2010
MEMcD Moderator
29th Apr 2010
elana
30th Apr 2010
MEMcD Moderator
30th Apr 2010
elana
30th Apr 2010
MEMcD Moderator
30th Apr 2010
elana
30th Apr 2010
phxflyer
13th May 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th May 2010
riverbud
16th May 2010
elana
17th May 2010

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 08-Mar-10 08:16 PM
50742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Peter,

that is a good question...

I don´t know it. But I think the D5000 should make the same noises as the D40.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

moresnowdays Registered since 14th Jan 2010Mon 08-Mar-10 09:56 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alder Creek, US

One thing I just noticed. It did it again. When you half press the shutter and it makes the clunk noise while looking through the view finder I can see the image jump slightly. I can also see it jump slightly again when I let off the shutter and it makes the clunk again.

I'm not to worried, as long as it doesn't mean that the VR is getting stuck.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Mar-10 10:52 PM
25895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Peter,

It sounds like you are hearing and seeing the VR engage and disengage.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

moresnowdays Registered since 14th Jan 2010Mon 08-Mar-10 11:59 PM
#4. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 3

Alder Creek, US

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about the lens any more after everyones' help here. Same with the camera's metallic sounding twang when the shutter fires?

I don't really suspect an issue with the camera either, but it's not a confidence inspiring sound either really.

elana Registered since 29th Apr 2010Thu 29-Apr-10 08:04 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 3

IE

Hiya folks. Came here because today the mirror started to jump the same way that it did for the poster above. I turned off VR and it stopped jumping.

Question is...why did it start today? I've had this cam for 9 months or so. No problems before. I'm more worried that there's another issue with the mirror. Has anyone else had this happen before?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 29-Apr-10 11:19 PM
25895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Elana,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Is your camera battery fully charged?
A low battery can cause VR to cycle on and off instead of staying on, due to the low voltage.

Best Regards,
Marty

elana Registered since 29th Apr 2010Fri 30-Apr-10 02:54 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 6

IE

Hey there, thanks!

I just charged up the battery fully, the little step move is still happening. Any other ideas? I'm still new at the camera thing...it's only been about 9 months.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 30-Apr-10 04:11 PM
#8. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Elana,

If you keep the shutter release button pressed half-way does the image in the viewfinder settle? If it does, VR is working. If it keeps "jumping" there may be a problem with the VR mechanism in the lens and a trip to Nikon Service might be in order while the warranty is in effect.

Best Regards,
Marty

elana Registered since 29th Apr 2010Fri 30-Apr-10 04:42 PM
#9. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 8

IE

It only moves when I press or let go of the shutter. Right away when I press, and about 1.5/2 sec after I let to. Coincides with a little click sound. Friends think it's something to do with the mirror...

Is there a way that I can make the cam think that a lens is attached, so I can take the lens off and watch the lens move?

And yes, when VR is off, it doesn't do it. But...it doesn't feel like it's a lens thing, it feels like it's a camera body thing.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 30-Apr-10 05:29 PM
#10. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Elana,

It has nothing to do with the mirror. That is the VR mechanism cycling on and off. It is normal. VR will stabilize the image in the viewfinder as long as you give it a second or so to work. When it is turned off (by releasing the shutter button) the VR mechanism centers the VR lens element(s) and locks them in place.
The jumping that you are seeing is normal when the VR starts and turns off.

>Is there a way that I can make the cam think that a lens is attached, so I can take the lens off and watch the lens move?

No! The lens doesn't move. A group of elements inside of the lens moves to stabilize the image. You won't be able to see it work.

Best Regards,
Marty

elana Registered since 29th Apr 2010Fri 30-Apr-10 06:47 PM
#11. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 10

IE

It might be normal, but yesterday was the first time it had ever happened before, hence my worry. I must get with some other local Nikon folk and see theirs.

And apologies for my second part, I meant to say "see the mirror move" not lens.

phxflyer Registered since 13th May 2010Thu 13-May-10 03:03 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>It might be normal, but yesterday was the first time it had
>ever happened before, hence my worry. I must get with some
>other local Nikon folk and see theirs.
>
>And apologies for my second part, I meant to say "see the
>mirror move" not lens.

I had the EXACT same situation with my D3000 and the 18-55mm VR yesterday.

Turning off the VR made the problem go away, After an afternoon of shooting I notice it comes and goes. However nothing in any of the images suggest any problems (so far)

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 13-May-10 05:02 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

There are floating elements within the lens that perform the adjustment for the movement of the camera and lens that are quickly moved so there could be times when these element are stopped by the internal structure of the lens and make the clunking sound.

If you read the instruction sheet for the lens, it discusses making sure the lens is turned off and the VR mechanism locks or as you carry the lens the VR elements will hit the internals of the lens.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

riverbud Registered since 09th May 2010Sun 16-May-10 12:59 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 0

Fresno, US

This sounds like the same problem I had with my 5000 I found it to be the lens 18/55mm kit lens. The lens focus ring was loose had to send it into Nikon. They repaired it in about a week.

elana Registered since 29th Apr 2010Mon 17-May-10 08:14 AM
#15. "RE: Noises from D5000 w/18-55mmVR?"
In response to Reply # 14

IE

That's interesting...if you turned off VR, would it still happen? I know that this started on a certain day, it wasn't always like that, so that's why I'm concerned...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1427 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.