Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1422
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mode P and ISO" Previous topic | Next topic
riveredger Registered since 15th Feb 2010Mon 08-Mar-10 02:44 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mode P and ISO"
Mon 08-Mar-10 02:45 PM by riveredger

US

Hi all-

Question - if I want to manually adjust the ISO settings while in P mode, will the D3000 automatically adjust the shutter speed and aperture to match how I set the ISO? ie - if I drop the ISO from say - 800 to 400, will the camera automatically reduce the shutter speed?

I'm not good enough to go with M mode yet. But, I'm trying to shoot with lower ISO settings to reduce the amount of noise. Am I going about this all wrong, or does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 08-Mar-10 02:53 PM
3189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mode P and ISO"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 08-Mar-10 03:02 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Yes, while in "P" mode the camera will adjust aperture and shutter speed based the the ISO you have selected. Any automatic mode would do that, and in manual mode, changing the ISO will affect the meter.

Using the lowest ISO you can to reduce noise is a sound approach.

As a step towards using manual exposure, try Aperture Priority. This gives you control of the aperture, but allows the camera to select the correct exposure by choosing the shutter speed.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Mar-10 05:12 PM
25643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mode P and ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dan,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>Question - if I want to manually adjust the ISO settings while
>in P mode, will the D3000 automatically adjust the shutter
>speed and aperture to match how I set the ISO? ie - if I drop
>the ISO from say - 800 to 400, will the camera automatically
>reduce the shutter speed?

Yes though not always the shutter speed!
In P, S, or A exposure modes when you change the ISO the Aperture or shutter speed will change to provide a correct exposure.
In Program (P) mode, the Aperture or shutter speed may change depending on the ambient conditions.
In Aperture (A) priority mode, the shutter speed will change.
In Shutter (S) priority mode, the Aperture will change.

>I'm not good enough to go with M mode yet. But, I'm trying to
>shoot with lower ISO settings to reduce the amount of noise.
>Am I going about this all wrong, or does this seem like a
>reasonable approach?

There is nothing wrong with your approach!
The important thing is that you feel comfortable doing it that way.
Depending on the ambient conditions you can also take advantage of using "Flexible Program" mode by rotating the Command dial while in program mode. You will see and Astrix after the P* in the display (see page 68 of your D3000 Users Manual).
You could also try using Aperture priority mode and or Shutter priority mode when you feel more confident.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 10-Mar-10 01:15 PM
26562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Mode P and ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> I'm not good enough to go with M mode yet

M needn't even be a goal, although there's nothing wrong with that as a goal. I certainly have the skills to shoot in M, and in fact I do sometimes. Nonetheless, I find that A or S mode are just as good 90% of the time, and they require less intervention from me - so results tend to be better.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1422 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.