Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1410
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 Macro Lens advice." Previous topic | Next topic
MichaelBaca Registered since 26th Feb 2010Tue 02-Mar-10 11:05 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 Macro Lens advice."

US

I really want to take closeup shots such as this one:
http://myrmecos.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/orthodera7j.jpg

From what I have read, and please correct me if I'm wrong but I would need a macro lens(?) in order to get these types of shots.

I am still rather new to all this, and I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I can't afford a prime lens, but want something decent. Somewhere around $200 or so would be great.

I live right next to a lake and there are all sorts of creatures already out just waiting to be photographed!

Any advice?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Wed 03-Mar-10 05:31 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 Macro Lens advice."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 03-Mar-10 07:27 PM by Donald Kahn

US

Hi Michael

Congratulations on your new D5000. It's hard to say what you need for your photo project, because we don't know what lenses you now have. You may want to fill in your profile.

You may be confused as to what a "prime" lens is. Prime lenses are merely "fixed focal length" lenses as opposed to zoom lenses. A 50mm lens is a prime lens as is a 35mm or an 85mm. They are not necessarily more expensive. Some zoom lenses have macor (micro for Nikon) capabilites. You may want to puruse a site like B&H to see which lenses have macro (micro) capabilities that are within your price range. Keep in mind that your camera will NOT autofocus with a lot of lenses, and B&H usually has a note warning you of this fact. As I recall, they warn you that the lens will not autofocus with a D40, and if it won't autofocus with a D40, it won't autofocus with your camera either.

I have an old 55mm 2.8 micro AIS that I use for macro work. It is NOT an autofocus lens. 55mm may be too short for your purposes, but you may want to consider a used lens, just remember about the autofocus limitations.

You might also want to ask your question on the Auto Focus Lens forum, just be sure to let everyone know that you have a D5000.

I hope that this helped. I'm not that familiar with DX lenses, which are usually less expensive than "FX" lenses. FX lenses work on your camera also. (I used the term "FX Lens," however, lenses are NOT denoted as FX. If it's not labeled DX, then it's an FX if it's a Nikon or Nikkor.)

Don

yota265 Registered since 30th Dec 2009Wed 03-Mar-10 06:05 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 Macro Lens advice."
In response to Reply # 0

CASSELBERRY, US

Hi Michael,

You might want to check out Flickr.com and do a search on macro.
A lot of the photos you see like the one you posted are a combination of two lens put together to get that really shallow d.o.f.
Their pic are amazing I will have to say that much.
Check this link
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=MACRO&w=all
It shows their set-ups.

Hope that helps you.

Jeremy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MichaelBaca Registered since 26th Feb 2010Wed 03-Mar-10 10:01 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 Macro Lens advice."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Great, thank you both very much. Some of those photos on flicr are amazing, and I never thought about looking on here. I'm heading over to the auto focus section now.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 08-Mar-10 08:10 AM
26586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D5000 Macro Lens advice."
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

One thing to remember about flickr is that the skill of the photographers spans the entire range, from stunningly good ought-to-be-pros to newbies and some photographers who are so unskilled as to be amazing. If you are using photos there to evaluate how good a lens is, remember that it is very, very hard to make a mediocre lens look good, but it is very easy to make a good lens look bad.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1410 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.