Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1405
View in linear mode

Subject: "Portrait lens for d5000 - advice appreciated." Previous topic | Next topic
Dyrlaegen Registered since 28th Feb 2010Tue 02-Mar-10 05:28 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Portrait lens for d5000 - advice appreciated."

GB

Hi Nikonians
Am new here, but you all seem a very helpful group.
My question is - I recently moved to dSLR from film rangefinders and SLR (no transferable lenses). I am using my d5000 with the 18-55 and 35mm prime (i do mainly street photos), and the quality is superb. Am so glad I made the jump - it is a very good size for this kind of shooting.
SO - I would like a longer lens, for available light portraits/candid portraits/longer street shots. However there seems to be a bit of a gap here. I would prefer a fast-ish prime around 60-100mm. Would the 60mm 3.5 be OK for this kind of shot, or require too much lighting? If not, how feasible is it to use a MF 85mm on the d5000 - no experience of MF on something this sharp, although all my previous cameras have been MF.
Or am I just better off getting a zoom lens as a compromise cos the lens I want doesn't exist...
Am just a hobby photographer, so lens prices over about £500 would be out of my league I'm afraid,
Any advice would be hugely appreciated

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Mar-10 05:53 PM
25655 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Portrait lens for d5000 - advice appreciated."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I am not sure of the prices in the UK however here are a few choices that should be somewhere in the price range you are looking for:
1. The Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G AF-S Micro
2. Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Di II Macro
3. Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro II
4. Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED AF-S VR II DX
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Dyrlaegen Registered since 28th Feb 2010Tue 02-Mar-10 06:32 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Portrait lens for d5000 - advice appreciated."
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks Marty!
I had never heard of the tamron before, looks interesting.
Do you have any experience of it? Might be a good one.
Many thanks,
Jamie

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Mar-10 08:09 PM
25655 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Portrait lens for d5000 - advice appreciated."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Jamie,

No! I have never tried either Tamron lens but have read that others here are very happy with their performance. All of the Macro lenses available by; Nikon, Ziess, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokena are very sharp so you should have no issues with any of them.
If you want more specific answers from members that own one of the Tamron lenses post a question in the 3rd Party Autofocus Lenses forum.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1405 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.