nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Portrait lens for d5000 - advice appreciated.

Dyrlaegen

UK
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dyrlaegen Registered since 28th Feb 2010
Tue 02-Mar-10 05:28 PM

Hi Nikonians
Am new here, but you all seem a very helpful group.
My question is - I recently moved to dSLR from film rangefinders and SLR (no transferable lenses). I am using my d5000 with the 18-55 and 35mm prime (i do mainly street photos), and the quality is superb. Am so glad I made the jump - it is a very good size for this kind of shooting.
SO - I would like a longer lens, for available light portraits/candid portraits/longer street shots. However there seems to be a bit of a gap here. I would prefer a fast-ish prime around 60-100mm. Would the 60mm 3.5 be OK for this kind of shot, or require too much lighting? If not, how feasible is it to use a MF 85mm on the d5000 - no experience of MF on something this sharp, although all my previous cameras have been MF.
Or am I just better off getting a zoom lens as a compromise cos the lens I want doesn't exist...
Am just a hobby photographer, so lens prices over about £500 would be out of my league I'm afraid,
Any advice would be hugely appreciated

G