nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Portrait lens for d5000 - advice appreciated.

Dyrlaegen

UK
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dyrlaegen Registered since 28th Feb 2010
Tue 02-Mar-10 05:28 PM

Hi Nikonians
Am new here, but you all seem a very helpful group.
My question is - I recently moved to dSLR from film rangefinders and SLR (no transferable lenses). I am using my d5000 with the 18-55 and 35mm prime (i do mainly street photos), and the quality is superb. Am so glad I made the jump - it is a very good size for this kind of shooting.
SO - I would like a longer lens, for available light portraits/candid portraits/longer street shots. However there seems to be a bit of a gap here. I would prefer a fast-ish prime around 60-100mm. Would the 60mm 3.5 be OK for this kind of shot, or require too much lighting? If not, how feasible is it to use a MF 85mm on the d5000 - no experience of MF on something this sharp, although all my previous cameras have been MF.
Or am I just better off getting a zoom lens as a compromise cos the lens I want doesn't exist...
Am just a hobby photographer, so lens prices over about £500 would be out of my league I'm afraid,
Any advice would be hugely appreciated

G