nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #1379
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tagging D3000 images with GPS info" Previous topic | Next topic
Archdukeferdinand   US  Registered since 09th Feb 2010 Thu 25-Feb-10 02:11 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tagging D3000 images with GPS info"

Just recently purchased a d3000 as my first DSLR (though longtime N70 owner/user).

I bought it mainly to use for a biology class where i'll be cataloging & identifying loads of specimens in the field.

Though I hadn't really thought about it before (and its not a requirement for the course) would the GP-1 unit be compatible with my camera or one of the garmin units? GPS info would be a nice touch.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Thu 25-Feb-10 06:07 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tagging D3000 images with GPS info"
In response to Reply # 0

Unfortunately Nikon did not include the GPS interface and processing with that camera, so there is no way tag the images in the camera when shot. But you can use any number of GPS units that can create a track file and then use 3rd party software to match the track file date and time data to the camera's image data and time and the the software will insert the GPS information into the images EXIF data. There are many programs that can process the track file from the Garmin units.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Bob Chadwick Silver Member  Norcross, US  Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006 Thu 25-Feb-10 08:17 PM
2104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tagging D3000 images with GPS info"
In response to Reply # 1

I use a Garmin Venture HC to track the log, EasyGPS (freeware) to download it from the GPS and a plugin to Lightroom to merge the track with the pictures.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com
NorcrossPics on Instagram

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #1379 Previous topic | Next topic