Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1379
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tagging D3000 images with GPS info" Previous topic | Next topic
Archdukeferdinand Registered since 09th Feb 2010Thu 25-Feb-10 01:11 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tagging D3000 images with GPS info"

US

Just recently purchased a d3000 as my first DSLR (though longtime N70 owner/user).

I bought it mainly to use for a biology class where i'll be cataloging & identifying loads of specimens in the field.

Though I hadn't really thought about it before (and its not a requirement for the course) would the GP-1 unit be compatible with my camera or one of the garmin units? GPS info would be a nice touch.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 25-Feb-10 05:07 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tagging D3000 images with GPS info"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Unfortunately Nikon did not include the GPS interface and processing with that camera, so there is no way tag the images in the camera when shot. But you can use any number of GPS units that can create a track file and then use 3rd party software to match the track file date and time data to the camera's image data and time and the the software will insert the GPS information into the images EXIF data. There are many programs that can process the track file from the Garmin units.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 25-Feb-10 07:17 PM
1976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tagging D3000 images with GPS info"
In response to Reply # 1

Norcross, US

I use a Garmin Venture HC to track the log, EasyGPS (freeware) to download it from the GPS and a plugin to Lightroom to merge the track with the pictures.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1379 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.