Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1326
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 video mode." Previous topic | Next topic
bearwolf Registered since 06th Feb 2010Fri 12-Feb-10 03:40 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 video mode."

US

Will non AI manual focus nikkor lenses work on the D5000? They have been customized and the clip/hook-up has been removed.
Will the camera function without any elect. contact with lens?

Thanks, Johnny

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 12-Feb-10 06:15 AM
25581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 video mode."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I assume you are referring to the prongs or ears have been taken off the lens. Pre AI lenses are not compatible with the D5000. See page 195 of the D5000 Useres Manual.
If you have the lenses converted to AI spec.: http://www.aiconversions.com/
You will be able to mount them on your D5000 and use them in Manual mode. The cameras light meter will not work but you can use a hand held light meter, trial and error using the Histogram, or the Sunny 16 rule to set the correct exposure after the lenses have been converted to AI spec.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bearwolf Registered since 06th Feb 2010Fri 12-Feb-10 11:46 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 video mode."
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank You Marty.

Very helpful info.....

Johnny

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Fri 02-Apr-10 11:12 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 video mode."
In response to Reply # 1

US

>I assume you are referring to the prongs or ears have been
>taken off the lens. Pre AI lenses are not compatible with the
>D5000. See page 195 of the D5000 Useres Manual.
>If you have the lenses converted to AI spec.:
>http://www.aiconversions.com/

Not really true.

I have two pre AI lens, a 135 mm and a 50 mm 1.4. both mount and "work" after a fashion. Manual Focus of course and yes exposure is more manual but not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

as far as I know, the so called conversion gets you nothing with the d5000.

Live view will show what it looks like and its quite fun to use a 40 year old tack sharp lens on a computer camera.

for more info on this, i would suggest.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

very well written, makes sense and helped me tons.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1326 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.