Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1320
View in linear mode

Subject: "Query on using an AF lens with a D3000 body" Previous topic | Next topic
Remmel Registered since 11th Feb 2010Thu 11-Feb-10 05:31 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Query on using an AF lens with a D3000 body"

US

I'm an old Nikon user (still have my Nikon F) on a budget, but would like to try digital photography. I thought I might cut my costs by purchasing a D3000 body and using the AF 35-70MM f/3.3-4.5 lens I bought with Nikon's N5005 many years ago. The lense compatibility chart on this site indicates that I will have manual focus only, and also lose matrix exposure metering and distance info through the lens for for TTL flash. I'm used to manual focus on my old Nikons, of course, but as a digital novice I don't know whether having to perform manual focus on a camera like the D3000 is just stupid. Same for having no matrix metering. (PS: There are some Nikon digital SLRs, such as the D80 that do seem to retain AF with my old lens, and just lose the matrix metering, so would that be a better option?) Would appreciate any advice you might offer. I may be being penny wise and pound foolish here. All best, Remmel in New York

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 11-Feb-10 06:11 PM
26769 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Query on using an AF lens with a D3000 body"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Remmel,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I started with an F2S that I still run a roll or two of film through every year. If you want to use your old lens get the D90!
The D3000 has a pentamirror viewfinder that is a lot smaller and darker than any of the old MF bodies and even the D90 (pentaprism) for that matter. If your eye sight was once a lot better than it is now (like mine), you will have problems using Manual Focus on the D3000. All of the digital bodies have the range finder (green dot(in focus) indicator in the viewfinder, to help with manual focus but the D3000 is the toughest to work with.
You will also find that your 35-70mm @ 35mm has the same Field of View (FOV) on a Nikon DX body(D3000,D5000, .......D90,...D300S,ect...) that a 50mm lens has on a film body. In other words you might want to get a new lens as well.
The following bodies require AF-S lenses or third party lenses with AF motors built into the lens to provide AF: D40/D40X/D60/D3000/D5000.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Remmel Registered since 11th Feb 2010Thu 11-Feb-10 10:34 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Query on using an AF lens with a D3000 body"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks, Marty. This is excellent advice and I appreciate it. It suggests, however, that the D90 would still require manual focusing with my AF lens, but the lens compatibility chart suggests that I'd retain auto focusing on the D90. Can you clarify? Best--Remmel

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 11-Feb-10 11:14 PM
26769 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Query on using an AF lens with a D3000 body"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Remmel,

Yes! Your lens will AF when mounted on a D90 because the D90 has an AF motor built into the body just like your old N5005 has.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Waterboy Silver Member Charter MemberWed 03-Mar-10 09:58 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Query on using an AF lens with a D3000 body"
In response to Reply # 0

Pittsburgh, US

I don't think you can buy a D3000 body alone, so you'll have the kit lens to play with. I have a D40X (early generation D3000) and I love it for lightweight carry on vacation, etc. I bought the 18-200 lens and eBayed every other DX lens I had. For serious photography I use a D700 and a stable of 2.8 lenses. Welcome to the world of planned obsolescence. At least the "F" mount is still there.

A photographer makes the picture....the gear only helps!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1320 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.