nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Query on using an AF lens with a D3000 body

Remmel

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Remmel Registered since 11th Feb 2010
Thu 11-Feb-10 04:31 PM

I'm an old Nikon user (still have my Nikon F) on a budget, but would like to try digital photography. I thought I might cut my costs by purchasing a D3000 body and using the AF 35-70MM f/3.3-4.5 lens I bought with Nikon's N5005 many years ago. The lense compatibility chart on this site indicates that I will have manual focus only, and also lose matrix exposure metering and distance info through the lens for for TTL flash. I'm used to manual focus on my old Nikons, of course, but as a digital novice I don't know whether having to perform manual focus on a camera like the D3000 is just stupid. Same for having no matrix metering. (PS: There are some Nikon digital SLRs, such as the D80 that do seem to retain AF with my old lens, and just lose the matrix metering, so would that be a better option?) Would appreciate any advice you might offer. I may be being penny wise and pound foolish here. All best, Remmel in New York

G