Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1298
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing" Previous topic | Next topic
richardsim7 Registered since 09th Feb 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 07:48 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"

GB

Hey there,

I've recently purchased a Nikon D5000 and an ML-L3 remote. It works great indoors, but I figured out that the camera refuses to fire from the remote when the warning message (subject is too dark) pops up. This is very annoying when trying to take long-exposure shots.

Does anybody know how to bypass this? :\

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing
MEMcD Moderator
09th Feb 2010
richardsim7
09th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
09th Feb 2010
richardsim7
09th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
09th Feb 2010
richardsim7
09th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
09th Feb 2010
richardsim7
09th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
09th Feb 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th Feb 2010
richardsim7
09th Feb 2010
slothead Gold Member
19th Feb 2010
richardsim7
19th Feb 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 09-Feb-10 08:36 PM
24981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Richard,

Are you using one of the Vari-Program (Pictogram) exposure modes?
Sounds like the cameras AF system can't lock on the subject. In AF-S and possibly AF-A mode the shutter will not release unles the SF system has achieved focus lock.
You could try using P,A,S,or M exposure modes and if you still have problems, set the camera in Manual Focus mode as well.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

richardsim7 Registered since 09th Feb 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 08:47 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention I've tried in both Manual and Manual focus modes

It's literally when it says "Subject is too dark"

It fires using the normal button, but using the remote it just refuses. And yes, I have set the correct firing mode

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 09-Feb-10 08:50 PM
24981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Richard,

Are you aiming the remote towards the sensor on the front (lens side) of the camera?

Best Regards,
Marty

richardsim7 Registered since 09th Feb 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 08:52 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Hey, thanks for the fast replies

Yes I am, it works fine indoors (in the light) but when in the dark and the message on the screen says "Subject is too dark" the remote refuses to work

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 09-Feb-10 09:12 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Richard,

None of my cameras will provide that message, so I just checked a pdf version of the D5000 manual and on page 222: "Subject Is too dark" indicates that there is a problem with the exposure. In other words the camera thinks the image will be under exposed and will not release the shutter.
Try one or a combination of the following:
1. increasing the ISO
2. opening the Aperture (Smaller f/#)
3. decrease the shutter speed
4. use flash
How dark is it and what are you trying to shoot?
What exposure mode are you using?
If the exposure you need is longer than 30 sec. you may have to use Manual exposure mode and the "bulb" setting.

Best Regards,
Marty

richardsim7 Registered since 09th Feb 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 09:16 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

Hey there,

I'm taking photos like this:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/029/f/c/Night_Motion_2_by_richardsim7.jpg

This was taken using the button (because the remote wasn't working)

What I don't understand is why the button works, but it only refuses to fire when using the remote?

Thanks again for your help

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 09-Feb-10 09:38 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Richard,

Nice shot!
If you have the camera set in remote release mode (page 65) in delayed remote or quick response remote mode and you are aiming the remote at the Infrared receiver on the handgrip on the front of the camera, and the shutter still will not release. The only thing I can think of is there is a weak battery in the remote. However you say that it works when there is light!

Best Regards,
Marty

richardsim7 Registered since 09th Feb 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 09:39 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Yup, tried replacing the battery, same issue. Was hoping someone could shed some light on it, oh well

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 09-Feb-10 09:51 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Richard,

Sorry I could not be more help!
My remotes both wired and RF wireless use the 10 pin motor terminal release port that the D5000 does not have.
I am sure someone with more experience with that set up will chime in soon so keep checking.

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 09-Feb-10 10:06 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 8

Chicago, US

Have you extended the "Remote Duration On" time, see page 157 of the manual.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

richardsim7 Registered since 09th Feb 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 10:09 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 10

GB

Yeah I've tried that. I had the camera facing out to sea at the pier, it said subject too dark, the remote didn't fire. I turned the tripod round to face the street, the message went away and the remote worked fine. It's very odd!

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Fri 19-Feb-10 01:04 PM
1530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 11

Frederick, US

Maybe I missed it, but did you try Manual mode with the shutter in "Bulb"? Maybe the IR remote won't deal with this (I haven't tried it).

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, P7000, Oly OM-D E-M5, Oly E-P2IR
Nikkor Zooms: AF-S 28-300 f/3.5-5.6, AF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6
Nikkor primes: 24 f/2.8Ai-S, 24 f/2.8D, 28 f/2.8D, 50 f/1.4D, AF-S 50 F/1.8, 85 f/1.4D, Nikkor-C 500 f/8 Refl.
Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-300 Macro f/3.5-5.6.
Oly 12-42mm f/3.5-5.6, 45mm f/1.8
Lumix 12-35 f/2.8, 25mm f/1.4, 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8, 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6
Gitzo GT3541L, Manfrotto MT293A4, MP 680B
Markins M-20, RRS BH-25 Pro

richardsim7 Registered since 09th Feb 2010Fri 19-Feb-10 10:07 PM
#13. "RE: Nikon D5000 + ML-L3 Remote not firing"
In response to Reply # 12

GB

Woops, forgot to reply to this one, pretty much solved. I e-mailed Nikon and they said due to the auto-focus system it won't fire when it says "Subject is too dark" so you have to set the AF to manual and it seems to work. Strange because I could swear I tried that, oh well

Thanks for your help guys!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1298 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.