Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1276
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?" Previous topic | Next topic
nateccnn Registered since 06th Feb 2010Sun 07-Feb-10 12:15 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"

Reno, US

I read the D5000 manual...it says it will fire a CLS speedlight. So I bought the sb-900. It says it works with a CLS camera. Nothing in either manual indicate it won't work wirelessly...but then again, it doesn't say it will. I know without a commander it won't fire in ILL mode, but it should make it fire somehow in a slave mode. I can't for the life of me find a setting to make the camera communicate with the SB-900 as a slave. I thought the sensor just picked up the flash and just fired. Not on this setup.

Am I doing something wrong or just barking up the wrong tree.

I plan to pick up an SU-800 but the camera store did not have one. I have a portrait shoot to do tonight. Any way to get it to communicate quickly?

Thanks for any help.

Nate

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not...
greenwing Gold Member
07th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
07th Feb 2010
briantilley Moderator
07th Feb 2010
nateccnn
07th Feb 2010
briantilley Moderator
07th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
07th Feb 2010
nateccnn
07th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
08th Feb 2010
nateccnn
08th Feb 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Feb 2010

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sun 07-Feb-10 08:20 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 07-Feb-10 04:44 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

You'll need to set the SB-900 into SU-4 mode, and you may need or want to have the camera's flash in manual. Manual flash is probably best, as the SB-900 will be adding a lot of light that the camera wasn't expecting when it calculated the exposure. I don't know off-hand whether the SU-4 mode of the SB-900 ignores pre-flashes.

You might be better with an SB-600 or an additional SB-900 (or an SB-800 if you can find one) than an SU-800.

Chris

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 07-Feb-10 10:54 AM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Nate,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As Chris wrote, You have to set the SB-900 in SU-4 mode, The built in Speedlight in Manual flash mode, and the camera in Manual exposure mode.
With the SU-800 in the cameras hotshoe and the SB-900 in remote TTL mode, you will be able to take advantage of full i-TTL wireless falsh control in P,S,A, and M exposure modes.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 07-Feb-10 12:57 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Nate!

As the others have said, the D5000 does not have the "Commander Mode" in its built-in flash that would allow it to control an off-camera Speedlight wirelessly; it can only be used manually in "SU-4 Mode".

Regarding the manuals, I guess you need to know what to look for, but the D5000 manual does not suggest anywhere that the camera can control slave Speedlights wirelessly. It does state that "CLS-compatible" Speedlights are supported, but then goes on to describe how they can be used on-camera, not off-camera.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nateccnn Registered since 06th Feb 2010Sun 07-Feb-10 04:35 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 3

Reno, US

I'll look again in the manual, but for the life of me I can not find an SU-4 mode on the camera. I did notice some settings are not allowed with flash in iTTL mode.

We managed to get the protraits lastnight by using the SB-900 on the hot shoe. Some shadows could not be avoided but I shot several shots with the speedlight bounced in various directions and was able to photoshop to parts I liked into one awesome portrait.

I will get the SU-800 ordered but now I am thinking of just using the SB-900 as the commander and pick up some 600s for fill light.

Thanks guys.

Nate

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 07-Feb-10 05:54 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

>I'll look again in the manual, but for the life of me I can
>not find an SU-4 mode on the camera.

What I meant was as Chris and Marty described it accurately above - it's the SB-900 that would need to be in SU-4 mode, not the camera.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 07-Feb-10 07:14 PM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Nate,

See pages D-50 to D-54 in the SB-900 Users Manual.
See page 162 in the D5000 Users Manual to set the built in Speedlight to Manual flash mode.

Best Regards,
Marty

nateccnn Registered since 06th Feb 2010Sun 07-Feb-10 11:26 PM
#7. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 08-Feb-10 02:50 AM by nateccnn

Reno, US

OK...I feel like I am coming out of dummy mode here. I was flipping through the manual of the flash unit and spotted the SU-4 mode. A couple light bulbs went of. LOL Now I just need to figure out the metering so I can set the settings properly.

Thanks for the tips. This sure clears up a lot.

Nate

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Feb-10 01:53 AM
#8. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Nate,

You can use the trial and error methode using the Histogram to adjust the power level of the remote speedlight or the aperture that you use.
Keep the ISO as low as possible and the shutter speed at 1/200th sec (Maximum sync speed) or slower.

Best Regards,
Marty

nateccnn Registered since 06th Feb 2010Mon 08-Feb-10 02:55 AM
#9. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 8

Reno, US

So I found the section in the manual relative to Su-4. Nothing tells me how to set it. Just tells me to set it. I suppose if I actually read the whole thing I might have figured out how to get into settings.

But I just found an article on the net...a basic review of the SB-900 that says push and hold the OK button. Shazaam! There the setting is. I got it into SU-4 mode, put the camera in manual...turned flash to manual...walla! The SB-900 fired off. Of course it completely burned out the picture. But as noted above...a little trial and error and I got a nice picture of my TV right as the Colts missed there final attemp at a touchdown. Missed the whole game while I was trying to figure this thing out.

Thanks for all the help guys. I still think I am going to get a commander for this setup though. But for now I can say I understand how it all works. Yeah!

Nate

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 08-Feb-10 02:16 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D5000 and SB-900 - can it be done wirelessly or not?"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

You might want to look a the Nikon Speedlights & Lighting for more post about using the Nikon CLS and Nikon CLS Wireless system and mixing the Nikon Speedlights with studio strobes.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1276 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.