Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1264
View in linear mode

Subject: "NEWBIE NIKON D3000 USER. ADVICE NEEDED" Previous topic | Next topic
Big Rob Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2010Mon 01-Feb-10 11:02 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NEWBIE NIKON D3000 USER. ADVICE NEEDED"

GB

Hi Everyone

I bought my first Digital SLR today, a Nikon D3000, I have a nikon AF 18-55MM f/3.5-5.6 lens which came with the camera and I also bought an AF 70-300MM f/4-5.6 lens.

I am interested in doing sports photography, mainly Bodybuilding and fitness models, does anyone have any advice on what settings etc I should be using to get me started, and if I need any filters etc for the lenses.

The shop also gave me a pair of ultra violet light filters for the lenses I bought, if anyone has any advice or recommendations on any other accessories I may need then please could you let me know.

Thanks very much for reading this and i look forward to any responses and advice

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 01-Feb-10 11:54 PM
25973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NEWBIE NIKON D3000 USER. ADVICE NEEDED"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D3000 kit.

>I am interested in doing sports photography, mainly
>Bodybuilding and fitness models, does anyone have any advice
>on what settings etc I should be using to get me started, and
>if I need any filters etc for the lenses.

The settings will depend on the ambient lighting conditions at the venu that you are shooting. Lighting that looks good to the human eye can be a black hole for a camera.
Take your camera out and start practicing. Review the results including the Exif data on the images that you want to delete. There is information there that can help you improve.

Here is a link to an article on proper handholding technique: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/technique/handholding1.html

>The shop also gave me a pair of ultra violet light filters for
>the lenses I bought, if anyone has any advice or
>recommendations on any other accessories I may need then
>please could you let me know.

The UV filters are for protecting the front element of the lens. If they are not multi-coated you would be better off leaving them in your bag than placing them on your lenses as the non coated filters tend to increase the likelyhood of flare and ghosting.
I would recommend a quality microfiber lens cleaning cloth, a Giottos Rocket Blower, a few Sandisk or Lexar SD memory cards and a camera bag to keep your camera kit in. I would also recommend getting Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Big Rob Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2010Tue 02-Feb-10 04:55 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NEWBIE NIKON D3000 USER. ADVICE NEEDED"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I went out today and took loads of pictures, some on auto setting and others on manuel and landscape etc, with flash and without flash, just a mixture of different setting to see how they came out.

I have got a cleaning kit for the camera and now looking at internet books on exposure etc, I have also located a camera club near me which, I can go to, so I should start getting used to the camera now beyond the auto setting.

Thanks again

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1264 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.