Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1250
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR" Previous topic | Next topic
moresnowdays Registered since 15th Jan 2010Wed 27-Jan-10 04:46 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR"

Alder Creek, US

I just purchased a D5000 and 18-55mm VR kit, refurbished from Adorama. Seemed like a good deal. While I wait for it I thought I would pose a couple questions.

First, when it shows, what should I check out to make sure all is good? Being Nikon and from Adorama I didn't worry to much about it being refurbished. I know there was a recall on early production D5000 as well, so I'll check the serial# just in case, but I'm betting it's been long enought that won't be an issue. What other issues or anything should I check to make sure I got a good copy?

I'm not really new to DSLR's in general. Used a Olympus E-1 and E-330 for a few years. Also use Nikon film SLR's. This being my first Nikon DSLR though, are there any particular tips for starting out with this one?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
27th Jan 2010
moresnowdays
28th Jan 2010
phantomsailor
29th Jan 2010
moresnowdays
30th Jan 2010
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
30th Jan 2010
moresnowdays
04th Feb 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 27-Jan-10 07:09 PM
26791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Peter,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5000 kit!
Just charge the battery and take some test shots to make sure everything is working properly. Review the images on your computer to check the IQ.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

moresnowdays Registered since 15th Jan 2010Thu 28-Jan-10 02:21 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR"
In response to Reply # 1

Alder Creek, US

Thanks for the welcome!

Little flustered, UPS tracking says the cam has been in town since 7am, but no show. Tracking says "Emergancy situation beyong UPS control", not sure what that means? Weather has been little odd the last couple of days, but today was clean and clear. Doesn't say where I can pick it up either.

Oh well, have to look into this one tomorrow.

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Fri 29-Jan-10 06:18 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR"
In response to Reply # 2

Norwich, US

Peter
As MEMcd said just power her up and shoot. Other than the recall there shouldn't have been much that needed refurb. The recall was a short fix, got mine back in 10 days. D5000 is a very good camera and should provide you with alot of shooting pleasure. Go on to YouTube and querey D5000...there arre tons of videos that will teach you many ricks as well as everyday stuff for this camera.

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen.
Minor White

moresnowdays Registered since 15th Jan 2010Sat 30-Jan-10 05:48 PM
#4. "RE: Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR"
In response to Reply # 3

Alder Creek, US

Thanks all, got the D5000 yesterday. All looks and operates well as far as I can tell. Really impressive with the high ISO shots I've been trying around the house! Especially coming from past cameras, G10, OLY E1 and 330. All of them had been great cameras with specific strengths, but low light shooting is more likely these days for me.

Hope to give the D5000 more of a work out soo

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 30-Jan-10 08:50 PM
52164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR"
In response to Reply # 4

East Frisia, DE

Have fun with your new cam

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

moresnowdays Registered since 15th Jan 2010Thu 04-Feb-10 05:30 PM
#6. "RE: Just purchased and waiting for D5000 and 18-55mm VR"
In response to Reply # 0

Alder Creek, US

I see a few threads here about people thinking about getting a D5000, I would say go for it. Adorama's deal for it with a 18-55mm VR lens for $525.00 and free shipping made the decision to go this route over a D3000 easy for me. It's a refurbished by nikon package, but I've always had good luck with refurbished. In my experience refurbished from a manufacture, like Nikon, means like new with better inspection procedures to make sure everything is what it should be. Less likely to get a lemo

I don't remember all the differences between the two, but I really like flipping the LCD so it isn't visible for a few reasons. First, to protect the LCD. Second, to hide it from my 19 month old daughter. She always wants to see the pictures as soon as she notices a camera. With the screen flipped away, she thinks this camera doesn't have one, so I get shots I couldn't before. I also like hiding it on myself. I use it as a way of stopping myself from chimping after every shot. I actually annoy myself doing it. All I have to do once the camera is set up is make an adjustment using the info in the view finder, or pull the screen back quick to take a peak at the info. (One reason I like the hinge at the bottom instead of the side)

Above all this sensor is great in low light (in regaurds to my personal expectations). I wanted to go with this or a D40 for shooting natural light. From looking at reviews and photos I figured either would do nicely up to ISO 1600. What really impressed me with the D5000 is most of my pics at home of my daughter, no flash and ISO on Auto, are at 3200. They look great!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1250 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.