Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1239
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3000 and hot pixels" Previous topic | Next topic
boykee Registered since 19th Jan 2010Mon 25-Jan-10 10:58 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3000 and hot pixels"

CA

I'm on my 2nd D3000 now (returned the first one) and I've found hot pixels in both.

When the picture is bright and there is ample lighting there isn't much of a problem. However when I shoot in low light and there's dark colors I always get hot pixels in the same place. I'm talking about viewing the image on a computer monitor (it's not the monitor). And I'm not even a pixel peeper or anything, it's quite noticeable without zooming into the picture at all.

I just find it disappointing that both cameras I obtained had this problem. I've seen this mentioned in reviews as well. Starting to wonder whether I should get another camera, I like the D3000 but I don't think I can bare knowing it has this defect. Thoughts? Anyone else have this problem with their D3000s?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 27-Jan-10 01:42 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3000 and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Hot pixels indicate a dead photo sensor. You will find these on some new cameras and any older camera can develop them with age. You can have Nikon tech support map them out like your computer can map out bad disk sectors.

With many advanced software products, you can clone out the hot pixel from the images until you can have your camera fixed.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

boykee Registered since 19th Jan 2010Thu 28-Jan-10 12:15 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3000 and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

so I guess I should just keep exchanging it until I get one which doesn't have noticeable hot pixels..

Thank you for the info.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 28-Jan-10 12:55 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3000 and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

Nikon service should map out the hot pixels for free.

Give them a call.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1239 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.