Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1202
View in linear mode

Subject: "What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Thu 14-Jan-10 11:34 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"

US

My youngest son wants to buy a DSLR, and cost is an important factor.

I've put my 2 cents into a lot of these posts, but my son has told me that he wants to buy a Nikon DSLR for general use and that he doesn't want to spend a lot of money. I don't know anything about DX lenses and the kit lenses that come with some of these cameras. They might be fine, but I just do not know. Does anyone know which package deals are the best. I suggested that he purchase a D90, but he says that that it is not within his budget.

Thanks,

Don

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which len...
Floridian Silver Member
15th Jan 2010
Donald Kahn
15th Jan 2010
MEMcD Moderator
15th Jan 2010
Donald Kahn
15th Jan 2010
MEMcD Moderator
15th Jan 2010
Donald Kahn
15th Jan 2010
DigitalDarrell Team Member
15th Jan 2010
IanDLS
16th Jan 2010
Larry E30 Silver Member
22nd Jan 2010

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 15-Jan-10 12:11 AM
2714 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

If cost is a factor, the D3000 is a good place to start. (For me, I think the D5000 is worth the extra money, but the D3000 will be less expensive and will take great photos. I'd also agree with you that the D90 would be an even better choice, if it's within the budget.)

The 18-55 kit lens is a really nice lens and also a good place to start. So, to keep cost to a minimum, get the D3000 with the 18-55. He'll get great photos at as low a cost as you can get for a DSLR.

Randy

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Fri 15-Jan-10 12:43 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 15-Jan-10 12:49 AM by Donald Kahn

US

Randy,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the advice on the lens.

Thanks,

Don

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 15-Jan-10 06:00 AM
25684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Don,

What does he want to shoot?
If he wants to shoot indoor sports or at high ISO settings, the D5000 would be a much better choice! If he will be shooting in decent light or can use flash, the D3000 should be fine.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Fri 15-Jan-10 12:48 PM
#4. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Marty - That's a good point about the higher ISO settings. Nikon has a rebate that ends tomorrow, January 16, so I think that I am going to recommend that he buy the D5000 with the 18-55 VR and 55-200 NON VR for $744.95 shipped from B&H. Or with the 55-200 VR for another $105.

Any thoughts on whether or not the VR on this particular lens is worth the extra $105?

As for his shooting preferences, I think that he just wants to have a camera for general, all around shooting. He's single and travels alot, so indoor sports is probably not on the top of his list.

Don

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 15-Jan-10 05:24 PM
25684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Don,

If he will be shooting handheld at 200mm with a shutter speed below 1/300th sec. VR can be the difference between capturing a sharp image or a blurry one. VR becomes more important as the focal length increases.
Darrell's recommendation of the 18-105mm should work out to a price similar to the two lens kit with the 55-200mm non VR. He will loose range but gain convenience!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Fri 15-Jan-10 07:54 PM
#7. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Marty and Darrell

Thanks for your recommendations. I have passed them on to my son, Matt, and I think that he is going to place his order today so that he can take advantage of the rebate.

As for "Mastering the Nikon D5000," I just want Darrell to know that I have read his book, "Mastering the Nikon D700," and that I refer to it all of the time. Nice work!

Thanks again,

Don

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberFri 15-Jan-10 03:47 PM
5926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Don,

The D5000 is very close to the D90 in power, has the cool swivel screen, and includes D-Movie mode. For the money, it's one of the best values around. Good choice!

The longer the lens, the more VR is needed. You might consider the 18-105mm Nikkor. My wife uses it, and it's very sharp, has VR, and is a wide-angle to short telephoto. Not quite as long as the second lens, but a lot more convenient. You can buy DEMO (usually refurb) versions for less than $300 USD. I bought one for my wife for merely $274 and it is excellent for the price.

Oh, also check out Mastering the Nikon D5000 for your son. This NikoniansPress book will help him through the steeper learning curve for the full-featured camera.

Digital Darrell

IanDLS Registered since 22nd Dec 2009Sat 16-Jan-10 02:10 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

Umm'd and Aaah'd between both the D3000 and D5000 myself, previously owning a D40x. Have to say, I've just returned from the shops with a D5000 and awaiting the charge of the new battery before proceeding with a few test shots... I'm happier with my choice after buying, although the cost did make me think carefully.

The things that made my decision easier, were the live view and viewer. Aside from the obvious 12MP to the D3000' 10MP too, the ISO achievementwas important to me, making the D5000 the better choice.
However, in the UK, I only gained the basic 18-55 without the VR and there was no rebate info either. Guessing you get more in other areas of the world!

If he's like me, I'd urge him to consider how he wishes to use the camera.. being able to take photo's without needing to place the camera to your eye is a help. We're not all fit and able these days..

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 22-Jan-10 04:03 PM
2166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What should he buy - a D3000 or a D5000 & which lenses"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 22-Jan-10 04:09 PM by Larry E30

US

Hi , you made a good choice.I know this is a late post...

I don't know much about the D3000,but I have the D5000.
I am totally amazed at the high ISO low noise ! .

Overall , I find this to be the #1 feature/best thing of this camera.And great image quality 2nd.Overall - VERY happy.

I did a ton of testing when I first got the camera,modes,ISO,checked for dust/dead pixels(returned two copies for dead pixels)...

ISO alone - is worth this camera .I was slightly disappointed with useing swivel(full-time),but it was not ment to use full-time.
(I should have bought Panasonic GH1 ... , it is ment to use full time live).

Well, I wanted to include an ISO 6400 back yard test image.!I did have a 3200 ISO car show photo that I could see a little noise under the head-light.So it may depend... .

Good day , Larry

6400 ISO ! ! . ; Oh, D5000,w/Nikon 55-200VR@102mm,f/25,60th,ISO 6400,though Exif info did not record ISO.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1202 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.