Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1181
View in linear mode

Subject: "What non Nikon flash for the D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
syman Registered since 01st Jan 2010Mon 11-Jan-10 08:11 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What non Nikon flash for the D5000"

GB

What would people recommend for a good reasonable priced (£50 - £80) flash for the Nikon D5000.
The more features the better. Is there a non Nikon flash out there that works in the same way as a Nikon flash?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000
MEMcD Moderator
11th Jan 2010
Asgard Administrator
11th Jan 2010
gtpete
24th Jan 2010
blw Moderator
24th Jan 2010
Donald Kahn
25th Jan 2010
blw Moderator
24th Jan 2010
potty
20th Apr 2010
tonyr_d3000 Silver Member
04th May 2010
johnomaster
21st May 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
21st May 2010
johnomaster
22nd May 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 11-Jan-10 09:17 PM
26084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Jan-10 09:18 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Syman ,

Welcome to Nikonians!
While there are third party Speedlights that advertised as being Nikon i-TTL compatible they usually are not 100% compatible as advertised and are built to a much lower standard than the Nikon Speedlights. The only third party brands that I would recommend are Metz and Quantum. Their products are well built and priced about the same or higher than the Nikon equivalent.

The Nikon SB-400 is the entry level Nikon Speedlight and may fit your requirements. The SB-600 is a better choice because it has more power and versatility than the SB-400, though more expensive as well.

Sigma and others make "Nikon i-TTL compatible Speedlights" but my experience with older models of the Sigma was they were poorly built and problematic.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 11-Jan-10 09:31 PM
51157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Jan-10 09:31 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

No experience with quantum.

Metz is very good brand.

Sigma has been improved a lot, the new models are also good.

But, if possible go for a SB-600, new or used.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

gtpete Registered since 05th Oct 2009Sun 24-Jan-10 05:11 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

go to KenRockwell.com 7 read his review on the SB-400 & why he b eleieves its all you will ever need unless you wnat to do some serious studio work.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 24-Jan-10 02:52 PM
26708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 24-Jan-10 11:51 PM by blw

Richmond, US

That review is just silly. There are lots of reasons to use flashes other than the SB-400 that are not confined to the studio. And it's not even just advanced users. The SB-400, while it's a nice flash, is no more powerful than the built-in flashes, and only a little bit more flexible.

What people write in a "review" often tells you more about the reviewer than the subject of the review. This is one of those cases.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Mon 25-Jan-10 12:15 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Peter

Thanks for participating, and it's good that you're researching the various sites. Brian is probably right about the flash, but everyone's opinion counts. That's what this site is all about.

Don

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 24-Jan-10 02:57 PM
26708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> Is there a non Nikon flash out there that works in the same way as a Nikon flash?

The flashes are more deeply integrated into the camera's operation than most people realize, and this makes third-party flashes more difficult to integrate properly than third-party lenses.

The two that I've had a little experience with are Sigma and Metz. The Sigmas are similar in price to the Nikon flashes, perhaps slightly less expensive. Definitely not in the $100 range. So far the only Sigma that I'd buy is the EM-140, which the ring flash that Nikon does not make. The DG Supers are close to the Nikkors in function but harder to use and not a less expensive. The Metz have features and capabilities that the Nikons do not have - but they are far more expensive than what you're seeking. (They are more expensive than reasonably comparable Nikons, not less.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

potty Registered since 04th Apr 2010Tue 20-Apr-10 06:18 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

I do heat that the Nissin Di622 is a good non brand flash, with a higher output than the Nikon SB600. It gets a fair write up too.

tonyr_d3000 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Tue 04-May-10 04:39 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 7

Little Rock AFB, US

It may be more than you want to pay, but I just ordered an SB600 off Amazon for $224. From talking to the Public Affairs guy on base here and the reviews I saw, I think this will be a good starting point. I am slowly building my D3000 kit up, but really need to stop my spending and take me a class to learn how to better use it. Good luck no matter what you choose.

p.s. If you want to see some of the equipment I have picked up so far, do a Google search for "listmania wizbang". And yes I do like my gadgets!

23+ yrs USAF
"Doin' it for God and country"

johnomaster Registered since 20th Mar 2010Fri 21-May-10 07:50 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I purchased a Promaster 7500 EDF which is thier version of the SB900 which sells for about $500.00. The Promaster only cost $299.00. As far as I can tell it does everything the Nikon does and I have had no problems with it so far.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 21-May-10 08:49 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 21-May-10 09:02 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

GN iso 100 50mm focal length: 102 for feet.
SB-900 iso 100 50mm focal length: 131.2 for feet.

SB-900/800 capabilities not found in the Promaster manual:

• CLS Wireless 'Remote' or 'Commander' modes
  • Balanced Light of back light fill mode
  • Manual power settings from 1/1 to 1/128. Promaster bottoms out at 1/64.
  • No FP mode. This would be important on a higher level camera that supports this sync mode
  • No closeup mode

SB-900 only capabilities:

• Automatic camera WB adjustment when using smart filter gels
  • Firmware update
  • Adjust zoom for FX and DX lens modes
  • Can shape light independent of zoom

George
My Nikonian Galleries

johnomaster Registered since 20th Mar 2010Sat 22-May-10 10:56 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What non Nikon flash for the D5000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1181 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.