Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3000 taking very dark photos (vs. D40)

2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
boutwell Registered since 29th Dec 2009
Mon 11-Jan-10 02:30 PM

Hi all. I have found a wealth of great info on these forums so far and look forward to learning more.

We just upgraded from a D40 (non-VR pkg) to the D3000 kit. I love the new features on the camera but we are finding that all of the photos taken without the flash are incredibly dark. We do process everything in Photoshop but these are so dark that when leveled up we see color noise and detail loss. These results span all shooting modes, including manual using internal metering.

With our D40, we only had to do minimal corrections, so we are thinking we must have a bad unit. I did find one review on the UK Amazon site where another user had a similar problem but that is the only other siting of this problem I could find.

Are there fundamental differences in these two cameras that would cause this, or do you think I may have a bad unit?

Thanks in advance, all!