nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1144
View in linear mode

Subject: "Old Vivitar Flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Edjunior Registered since 30th Dec 2009Fri 08-Jan-10 12:24 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Old Vivitar Flash"

US

Well guys, guess what I found. My old Vivitar Auto Thyristor 225! And even better, it still works. Now my question is, can I use it with my Nikon D5000? I know it works, but will it do anything "adverse" to the camera. I've read a couple of things about voltage feedback, or some such, and want to make sure before I go to town with it.

And just in case anyone is interested, I managed to find a manual for it. And many others. Check out this link.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/flashes_meters.htm

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 08-Jan-10 05:07 AM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Old Vivitar Flash"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Jan-10 05:07 AM by blw

Richmond, US

You need to be careful - very careful. Flashes of that apparent vintage usually used very high trigger voltages (> 150v, usually over 250v). Your camera wants a 12v trigger, and mixing the two is a big risk. If you are bound and determined to use it, a Wein SafeSync or similar is advised.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 08-Jan-10 05:30 AM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Old Vivitar Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ed,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Here is a link that has flash triggering voltage listed: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
Unfortunatly the Vivitar 225 is not listed, though the other models with a similar vintage exceed the safe triggering voltage by a wide margin.
You should verify the triggering voltage with a volt meter and or use a Wein SafeSync: http://www.adorama.com/WNSSHSHS.html?kbid=912610&searchinfo=Wein+SafeSync
to be safe. Call it cheap insurance.
Of course you will be limited to using the camera set in Manual exposure mode with the Flash in (non-TTL) Auto flash mode or Manual flash mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberFri 08-Jan-10 07:22 AM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Old Vivitar Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Well, I would DEFINITELY advice you use something like a Wein Safe Sync to isolate the camera from the flash.

Having said that, a dedicated I-TTL flash like an SB-400 or better SB-600 or SB-900 would be best as it maintains full compatibility and can properly expose a shot especially when full power is not required.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1144 Previous topic | Next topic