Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1131
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux" Previous topic | Next topic
Epiphileon Registered since 03rd Jan 2010Sun 03-Jan-10 11:05 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"

US

First of all I am thrilled to be using an SLR again, and particularly a Nikon, having been an avid amateur photography back in the chemistry days, I have just never been able to get very excited by whatever one calls the other type of digital imaging devices.
I received a D3000 on my birthday in December and am extremely happy with it's performance thus far, not so however with the computer interface. My problem is that I do not use Windows so I have been encountering problems transferring pictures from my camera.
Thus far I have not been able to get my file manager to recognize the camera, here are some errors I've been getting.

Could not open location 'gphoto2:///DCIM/100D3000/DSC_0002.JPG'
Error initializing camera: -105: Unknown model

Unable to mount NIKON DSC D3000
Error initializing camera: -60: Could not lock the device

The image manager I have is called F-Spot, it came with the O/S, the really odd thing about this is that if I plug the camera in, and leave it there for about 10 minutes, suddenly I get a message from the O/S saying basically, hey there's a camera connected, wanna use F-Spot to load the images? I say yes and that works. But the file manager still will not open the camera, it lists it, but I get one of the above error messages when I try to access it.
One suspicion I have is that the format memory card procedure may be the problem since, prior to reading anything I, of course snapped off a few pictures and had no problem uploading them.
Questions
Has anyone else had this problem?
Anyone using linux know of a good reliable image manager I could use for loading, organizing, and tagging images?

I intend to watch the rest of the digitutors I found in another thread here, looks like a great site, and I appreciate any help might be offered, Thank you

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux
MEMcD Moderator
04th Jan 2010
slimjim
08th Jan 2010
MEMcD Moderator
08th Jan 2010
slimjim
08th Jan 2010
micaelak
08th Jan 2010
bvlo
10th Jan 2010
Epiphileon
12th Jan 2010
MEMcD Moderator
12th Jan 2010
pauln600
13th Jan 2010
bvlo
13th Jan 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Jan 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 04-Jan-10 05:39 AM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Have you considered using a card reader?
I am a Windows user and always use a card reader. The Card reader should be able to work around the compatibility issue you are having between your computer and the cameras interface.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

slimjim Registered since 08th Jan 2010Fri 08-Jan-10 04:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I received a D3000 on my birthday in December and am extremely
>happy with it's performance thus far, not so however with the
>computer interface. My problem is that I do not use Windows so
>I have been encountering problems transferring pictures from
>my camera.
>Thus far I have not been able to get my file manager to
>recognize the camera, here are some errors I've been getting.

I have a CoolPix P90, using Jaunty, it worked fine, until I updated the system, but not sure which update broke it. Now using Karmic and still have problems. Until recently, I've been able to work around, using gThumb as default app as follows:

plug in camera and turn on

gThumb opens but has an error about not being able to lock device

close gThumb - don't cancel, use close button, seems to make a difference

re-open gThumb and choose import - may report no camera for a few seconds, but will open import window and allow import.

An update a few days ago broke this, unless I reboot. Action as above will work once or twice, then reboot is required. I'm still working on a solution.

I think that gThumb and Fspot both use the same libraries, so behavior may be the same for Fspot too.

I use Fspot for image organizing, tagging, etc - just import from the directory that gThumb saves pix into. I like gThumb because it'll delete the pix from the camera after importing, Fspot won't.

HTH.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 08-Jan-10 04:56 PM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 08-Jan-10 09:38 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Mike,

>I like gThumb because it'll delete the pix from the camera after importing, Fspot won't.

Personally I download the images directly from the memory card via Card Reader to multiple hard drives, then verify that the images transfered correctly, before I delete the files on the card manually.
Better safe than sorry!

Best Regards,
Marty

slimjim Registered since 08th Jan 2010Fri 08-Jan-10 07:33 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Personally I download the images directly from the memory card
>via Card Reader to multiple hard drives, then verify that the
>images transfered correctly, before I delete the files on the
>card manually.
>Better safe than sorry!

To each his own - choice is what life's all about. That's why I use Ubuntu instead of Windows

Don't have a card reader and OP was asking about pulling directly from the camera. gThumb will download without delete and Fspot will only download.

I've downloaded and deleted well over 24,000 pix from different cameras over the years and haven't had any problem. Of course, there could always be a first time, I guess...

micaelak Registered since 08th Aug 2009Fri 08-Jan-10 09:49 PM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 3

Ravenna, US

I to use a card reader have never liked connecting any camera directly to the computer..all OS's should see the card reader as a drive the camera probably not as universal

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bvlo Registered since 10th Jan 2010Sun 10-Jan-10 06:29 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 0

BE

Hi,

I have a D5000 and use gtkam to download my pictures in linux
(SimplyMepis 8). Afterwards I use Digikam to work on my
collection of photograps.

I hope it helps !

Cheers, Ben

Epiphileon Registered since 03rd Jan 2010Tue 12-Jan-10 04:55 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 0

US

thank you all for your help, I'm going to dig up a card reader I got to try with an older Olympus I purchased on E-bay, I'm also looking into the different software recommendations.
I still wonder about that memory card formatting though, as soon as I get another card I'm going to try it without formatting.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 12-Jan-10 05:01 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Mike,

You should format the memory card in the camera before you use it!

Best Regards,
Marty

pauln600 Registered since 13th Jan 2010Wed 13-Jan-10 10:21 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 7

CA

I also have this camera and gthumb/gtkam/digikam all seem to use the
same camera database - but the D3000 doesn't seem to be on the list
and it's not autodetected.

Is there an equivalent model on the existing list?

Thanks,
Paul N.

bvlo Registered since 10th Jan 2010Wed 13-Jan-10 07:22 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 9

BE

The 'camera base' as you put it is the list of camera's known
by gphoto2. But even if it's not listed that does not mean it
can't be used. Eg. my camera (a D5000) is not known either,
but it is listed as 'USB PTP Class Camera' by gtkam. 
Strangely enough digiKam which also uses gphoto2 underneath
can only list one thumbnail while gtkam shows them all.

Maybe you should try directly with gphoto2. Have a look at
this page :

http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/using-gphoto2.html

Cheers, Ben

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 13-Jan-10 06:14 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D3000 and Ubuntu Linux"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Jan-10 06:15 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You might want to contact the program developer and request support for this program. Since Ubuntu is open source and users provide the module code, you could attempt to write your own module to perform this task.

I thought the ability to write your own extensions to the OS was part of the attraction to UNIX, Linux, Ubuntu, etc.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1131 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.