Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1101
View in linear mode

Subject: "NEF file problems" Previous topic | Next topic
syman Registered since 01st Jan 2010Fri 01-Jan-10 12:54 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NEF file problems"

GB

Hi

I just got my D5000 and am trying to open NEF files in photoshop cs3 or cs4. I have the lates versions of both the camera raw for photoshop c3 ans cs4. I also have the latest version of the NEF codec. When i open photoshop i get the following message "could not complete your request of a program error" The raw plugin does not start so it is not a problem with the RAW plugin for photoshop. I can view NEF files in windows without any problems. I feel this is a Nikon problem and not Photoshop. I have looked on many forums and a lot of people have this problem, i can assure you i have tried all the solutions without any joy.
Can someone please help???? As i said i don't need any updates and have camera raw latest versions for Photoshop and the lates versions of the NEF codec

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NEF file problems
Donald Kahn
01st Jan 2010
syman
03rd Jan 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
01st Jan 2010
syman
03rd Jan 2010
blw Moderator
03rd Jan 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Jan 2010
syman
04th Jan 2010

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Fri 01-Jan-10 01:48 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NEF file problems"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Syman

I don't know the answer, but you may want to post your question on one of the other Nikonian forums that discuss post processing and computer related issues. Your question may have already been answered on one of those forums.

Good luck with your new camera.

Don

syman Registered since 01st Jan 2010Sun 03-Jan-10 07:14 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NEF file problems"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks for the help could you point me in the right direction? thanks

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 01-Jan-10 02:18 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NEF file problems"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Jan-10 02:22 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

Each Nikon NEF or any camera's RAW format can be unique from any other type of RAW file. Most photo editing programs check the EXIF data, meta data included in media files, for the manufacturer and model number. If the information matches to the programs of known camera models, the program will open the RAW file. If it does not match the file will not be opened.

Software providers either issue a new version for new cameras or provide an updated plug-in. Nikon issues new versions of their software. Adobe uses a plug-in called ACR, Adobe Camera Raw.

What version of ACR are you using in CS3 and CS4?

Have you checked for updates to your software?

Adobe has publicly released ACR 5.6 for CS4, DNG Converter 5.6, and LightRoom 2.6 which just added support for the D3s and a previous version added the D5000 and continues to support this camera and all prior supported cameras.

Alternatives to directly opening the NEF file with Adobe products is to obatain a copy of the DNG Converter and convert the RAW file to Adobe's public archive DNG, Digital Negative, format. If you have the original version of Phbotoshop CS,you will have to have the most recent ACR for this version of ACR. Another approach is to install the free Nikon ViewNX, configure ViewNX to use Photoshop CSx with the 'File => Open with...' option, open the NEF with ViewNX and then use the 'Open with...' option to transfer a TIFF copy of the NEF to Photoshop CSx.

Nikon also occansionally issues firmware updates for their cameras, so you should check for firmware updates on a regular basis.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

syman Registered since 01st Jan 2010Sun 03-Jan-10 07:11 PM
#3. "RE: NEF file problems"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

I have all the latest stuff. The only thing left is the firmware of the cam.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 03-Jan-10 09:48 PM
26716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: NEF file problems"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

What precisely are you doing? If you're just starting CS4 without trying to load an image, and it gives you that error, something's wrong with your CS4 installation.

If you can start CS4 normally, but then file -> open of your NEF file fails, I'm not sure what the issue is.

However, I don't think it's the camera's firmware. Nobody else with a D5000 is having any trouble as long as they ACR 5.5 or later, and I think the latest firmware is still A1.00/B1.00, meaning that there are no updates.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 04-Jan-10 02:27 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NEF file problems"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 04-Jan-10 04:46 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Again what is the version of the ACR plug-in your CS4 is reporting as being installed?

Sometimes an update of ACR does not get properly installed, so it is best to check. If it is not ACR 5.5 or 5.6, you may need to manually install ACR 5.6 manually as described on the ACR download page.

Digital camera raw file support Adobe Photoshop CS4. You should see your camera listed in the 'Supported Cameras'.

For all downloads for Photoshop:
Photoshop for Windows
Photoshop for Macintosh

Have you tried the DNG converter? Even the first Photoshop CS can open the DNG format when updated to the last ACR 2.4 for that product. So CS4 can handle DNG files with any version of the ACR plug-in for that product.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

syman Registered since 01st Jan 2010Mon 04-Jan-10 07:48 PM
#7. "RE: NEF file problems"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Hi
Thanks for your help i have the latest version of all software and codes. I have done what you suggested and manually install the raw plug-in. It now works !!!!!! thanks for your help

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1101 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.