nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1098
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 and Garmin ETrex" Previous topic | Next topic
Edjunior Registered since 30th Dec 2009Fri 01-Jan-10 12:32 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 and Garmin ETrex"

US

Hullo all..New guy here. I got a D5000 for Christmas, as apparently many others did. I'm still learning, and will undoubtedly have many more questions. However, I figured I'd start with this one. I've seen some stuff saying that the Garmin ETrex Legend GPS can be used with the D5000, but I can not find the definitive answer. Can this GPS be used with the D5000, and if so, what is needed to make it happen?

Thanks, and I'll be back!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Fri 01-Jan-10 07:26 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 and Garmin ETrex"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

Yes, it can be done but not with any help from Nikon. I found one eBay seller that supplies an adapter cable for the D5000 plus a suitable cable for the ETrex. I've dealt with this seller before and didn't have any problems. If you search under cameras on eBay for "d5000 gps", it's currently the fourth item down.

Jonathan

Edjunior Registered since 30th Dec 2009Fri 01-Jan-10 03:32 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 and Garmin ETrex"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Jonathan. Got it ordered...I'll let you know how it all turns out. After I get my ETrex back from my Dad that is!!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 01-Jan-10 03:26 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 and Garmin ETrex"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Jan-10 03:28 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

If you ETrex has the square Serial RS-232 port, not the USB, you might be able to find a converter cable. If not then you can save your track in your GPS media card, transfer this file and photos to your computer and use a program, like Nikon ViewNX, to match the image time stamp with the closest GPS track point.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Edjunior Registered since 30th Dec 2009Sun 14-Feb-10 07:25 PM
#4. "RE: D5000 and Garmin ETrex"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 14-Feb-10 07:40 PM by Edjunior

US

Well, finally got my ETrex back from Dad. Got to playing with it, and voila. It works great. I got the cable from E-Bay as noted above, plugged it all up, and after figuring out a few things, the test pictures I took put me within 10 feet or so of where I snapped my pictures. GPS data was right where it's supposed to be. Very cool. The only thing I have to do is convert from DMS to decimal to plug into either Google Maps or other maps. I'm sure I'll find other programs to actually make good use of this cool feature, but it's good to know you don't have to have the most expensive unit on the market just to get your GPS data.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1098 Previous topic | Next topic