Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1072
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!" Previous topic | Next topic
moxyman Registered since 28th Dec 2009Mon 28-Dec-09 04:46 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!"

US

Hey everyone! What a GREAT website! I am new to SLR cameras, and am already learning a lot from this site. I was wondering if you all wouldn’t mind sharing some of your advice with me. I got the Nikon D5000 for Christmas with the 15-55, and 55 -200 VR lens from Costco. I would really like to get the most out of this camera and hope that I will be able to add to collection of “digital art” with it. I mostly take portrait, and landscape shots in a photojournalism style. So with that said…

Is these the lenes you would recommend? I hear the 70-300 is a “must have” as is the SB600 speedlight. I was also told to get clear lens covers, and uv filters… all of which if still in the process of reading about. Basically since I am a beginner to all of this I am hoping some of you could point me in the right direction as far as accessories I should get, or what attachments would make my end results best. Just remember im still learning so I may not understand all the terminology.

Thanks!
Jason )

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Mon 28-Dec-09 06:17 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Dec-09 06:30 PM by Donald Kahn

US

Hi Jason

Congratulations on your entrance into digital photography.

The two lenses that you have should cover almost all of your needs for now. A 70-300 would be mostly a duplication and ovelap of your 55-200.

As for the SB600, I would suggest that you just use the built-in flash on your camera for now. It works very well for subjects that aren't too far away. I used my son's D5000 over the weekend, and the flash pictures came out great. If you really find that you need a flash with more power in the future, you can always get it at that time. There are also other choices for separate flash units, such as the SB900, that you may want to consider before you spend your money.

Relative to the "clear lens covers and UV filters," they are for all practical purposes, one and the same. They screw onto the front of the lens to protect the lens from dirt and scratches. UV filters filter ultraviolet light which has an affect on certain outdoor photographs, whereas clear filters do not. Either type is acceptable for most purposes. I have UV filters on all of my lenses.

The only "accessories" that I would recommend would be a couple of books on digital photography.

Good luck with your new camera,

Don

P.S. I just noticed that two other knowledgable Nikonians have recommended some books in the post entitled, "JUST GOT A D5000." You should take a look at their recommendations.

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Mon 28-Dec-09 06:30 PM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... I got the Nikon D5000 for Christmas with the 15-55,
>and 55 -200 VR lens from Costco...

Excellent setup. You'll be pleased!

>Is these the lenes you would recommend? I hear the 70-300 is
>a “must have” as is the SB600 speedlight...

You will get various recommendations on this. The lenses you have form the basis for a very good kit. Personally, I think the 18-55 and 70-300VR make a better pair, because you get a longer telephoto. You won't miss the gap between 55mm and 70mm, so my preference would be to exchange the 55-200 for the 70-300VR. The downside on this is that the 70-300VR is larger, heavier, and more expensive, and as the 55-200 you have is a good lens, there is an argument for keeping what you have.

As for the Speedlight, others can give you a better recommendation. It doesn't seem useful for landscapes. For portraits it may be helpful, depending on the lighting that is available where you are taking them.

>...I was also told to get clear lens covers, and uv filters...

UV filters won't help your photos, and may hurt, as they put another layer of glass between your subject and the sensor. Many people use them as protection for the front element of the lens. If anything gets banged or scratched, it will be the filter, not the lens. You don't need the filters, but get them if you want a layer of protection for your lenses.

As to clear lens covers, I've never heard of them, and the only reason I can think of to use them is to allow light into the lenses when they are not in use to prevent fungus from growing on the glass (which does happen). This would require your storing the lenses where sunlight can reach them. There would be no benefit to using clear lens covers and then storing your lenses in a dark case. (I didn't even know clear lens covers were available!) While fungus is a potential problem, it is rare, and occurs when lenses are kept in humid conditions. Again, I don't think you need them, and if you decide you want them, you do have some time to think about it.

You're pretty much good to go with what you have. Your best strategy for learning is to use what you have, see what results you get, and think about how your results could improve. Much of this will be technique (composition, exposure, etc.), and should you run into a situation where your current equipment isn't quite up to what you want, that would be the time to think about adding to it.

Randy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 29-Dec-09 12:42 AM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>Hey everyone! What a GREAT website! I am new to SLR
>cameras, and am already learning a lot from this site. I was
>wondering if you all wouldn’t mind sharing some of your advice
>with me. I got the Nikon D5000 for Christmas with the 15-55,
>and 55 -200 VR lens from Costco. I would really like to get
>the most out of this camera and hope that I will be able to
>add to collection of “digital art” with it. I mostly take
>portrait, and landscape shots in a photojournalism style. So
>with that said…

Congratulations on your new kit!
You might consider getting "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.
It will help get you up and running using Manual exposure mode.

>Is these the lens you would recommend? I hear the 70-300 is
>a “must have” as is the SB600 speedlight.

The lenses that you have are a great place to start!
Use them to gain experience. With enough experience you will find the limitations of the kit lenses and be able to make an informed decision on the best lens to fit your needs.
The Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR is an excellent lens but it also has its limitations. The same thing can be said of the SB-600. Before you decide on adding more kit learn how to use what you have. Remember that adding gear is addictive!

>I was also told to
>get clear lens covers, and uv filters… all of which if still
>in the process of reading about.

You might want to read the following article on the Pros and Cons of using Protective Filters: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/uv_haze_skylight/uv_haze_skylight_filters1.html
Read the article and make up your own mind. Digital camera do not need UV filters. If you decide on using a protective filter use a multi-coated clear filter such as a Nikon NC or Hoya Digital Pro 1. As for clear lens covers... Why?

>Basically since I am a
>beginner to all of this I am hoping some of you could point me
>in the right direction as far as accessories I should get, or
>what attachments would make my end results best.

You might want to consider a quality Microfiber lens cleaning cloth and a Giottos Rocket Blower, ans well as a camera bag, an extra memory card or two and a card reader if you don't have one.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1072 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.