Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1060
View in linear mode

Subject: "Enlargements from D3000" Previous topic | Next topic
cairopd1069 Registered since 18th Dec 2009Thu 24-Dec-09 12:47 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Enlargements from D3000"

Cairo, US

What is the largest quality enlargement I can expect from my
D3000?  Would this be from Walmart or a professional lab?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Enlargements from D3000
Floridian Silver Member
24th Dec 2009
Donald Kahn
26th Dec 2009
Artrous
08th Jan 2010
blw Moderator
08th Jan 2010
Floridian Silver Member
08th Jan 2010

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 24-Dec-09 04:24 PM
2727 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Enlargements from D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I've made very good looking 20"x30" prints from my 6mp D50. I've had several made by Sam's Club. The price is right and they look good. Art gallery good? Maybe not. But good enough to impress your friends. With the D3000 there's almost no limit to how big you could enlarge, because as the enlargement gets bigger people are standing further away to view it.

I'd say experiment by going with Wal Mart (never tried them, but they are probably like Sam's Club) and if you like the results, you can pay more to get them done at a professional lab to look even better. But if your experience is like mine, you'll be happy to display what you get from Wal Mart.

Randy

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Sat 26-Dec-09 09:41 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Enlargements from D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Wayne

You have a camera with a "state of the art" sensor. The size and quality of your enlargements is only limited by your abilities and the quality of the lenses attached to your camera. My son has a D5000, and I had a chance to use it recently. I think that it is a very nice piece of equipment.

If it's within your budget, you may want to consider buying a printer that can handle large prints so that you can do your own printing. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 that handles prints up to 13 x 19, and Epson also makes some nice, reasonably priced, printers. Printing your own pictures is part of the fun, and it allows you to control important aspects of the final product.

Good luck with your new canera.

Don

Artrous Registered since 04th Jan 2010Fri 08-Jan-10 07:29 AM
111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Enlargements from D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Covington, US

You can use this rule when you go printing --

To calculate in inches the largest photo-quality print you can make with a digital camera, divide the vertical and horizontal pixel counts by 200. For critical applications, or exhibit-quality prints, divide by 250.

So, in the picture menu, set picture size to large, and qulaity to Fine or RAW. Then you should be able to get extremely wonderful 8x10 or 11x14 prints easily.

Cheers!

Brian Schletty
World Traveler

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 08-Jan-10 03:24 PM
26708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Enlargements from D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Assuming that you have quality glass and especially that you do your part (ie capture technique, focusing is dead on the money, post processing technique and printing methodology are all up to top caliber standards), it's feasible to make many - but not all - 16x20 or 16x24's from even a 4mp camera. I've seen prints shot by the track photographer at Laguna Seca that were done with a 4mp Canon 1D, and most of us would have a hard time believing that they didn't come out of something more like a 12mp or 16mp camera. But that's only what's possible - most of us can't do that well.

More realistically, if you do a good but not fanatic job, use good glass and have good scaling software (Genuine Fractals, QImage, BlowUp for sure), you can definitely make 16x20's comfortably and even larger if you're careful from a 10/12mp file. I don't think Walmart/SamsClub will take anything bigger than 8x10, but the quality printing houses (I have used White House Custom Color, whcc.com) usually will handle anything that you can send them. whcc has regular price list items to 30x45 and you can do larger stuff at $/sq ft prices.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 08-Jan-10 08:47 PM
2727 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Enlargements from D3000"
In response to Reply # 4

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... I don't think Walmart/SamsClub will take anything
>bigger than 8x10...

I've had 20"x30" prints made from a 6mp D50 at Sam's Club, and they looked great. I submitted the files on-line, they were done off-site, and I went to Sam's Club to get them.

I was doing it just because I was curious as to how they would come out, and the price was under $15 for a 20"x30" so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I was very pleasantly surprised by the result.

Randy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1060 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.