nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1040
View in linear mode

Subject: "TTL FP - is it "must have" feature for a newbie?" Previous topic | Next topic
nurd50 Registered since 20th Dec 2009Mon 21-Dec-09 02:28 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"TTL FP - is it "must have" feature for a newbie?"

US

I just bought a D5000 and have 30 days to return it, so as I was reading about the differences between this model and the D90, I see that the D5000 does not have TTL FP capabilty which let's you shoot at varying sync speeds. So what will I not be able to do with flash that the D90 can and is it worth upgrading to the D90 for it (it also has DOP plus of course the body focus motor)?

I am happy with the D5000 as it stands, I should mention that I did purchase an SB600 flash unit at the same time so I could take advantage of this with a D90 if I decide to go that way, but I don't know if it's a compelling reason to spend the extra $$ on the D90.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 21-Dec-09 08:43 PM
52535 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: TTL FP - is it "must have" feature for a newbie?"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

First, I want to Welcome you to Nikonians, John

As a newbie in flash fotography, I think, you will not miss this feature in the near future.

I would not upgrade to the D90 just of this feature.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 22-Dec-09 12:15 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: TTL FP - is it "must have" feature for a newbie?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Millions of Nikon photographers did without this until 2003, when it first showed up in the SB-800. I have it on most of my cameras today and I use it only rarely, and I'd venture that I probably use flash more than most Nikonians.

FP sync is mostly for fill flash in generally brighter environments. For example, if were to shoot flowers at, say, noon time, you'll have some very harsh shadows. Adding fill light is a reasonable approach to softening them, but at noon on a sunny day your exposure may already be f/11 and 1/2000th. So FP flash allows you to sync at high speed, and the distance loss isn't a factor with closeup subjects.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

nurd50 Registered since 20th Dec 2009Tue 22-Dec-09 02:27 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: TTL FP - is it "must have" feature for a newbie?"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 22-Dec-09 02:28 PM by nurd50

US

OK thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with the D5000 for now. Maybe when the D90 goes EOL (and priced to move) perhaps I'll take another look at it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1040 Previous topic | Next topic