nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1037
View in linear mode

Subject: "If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (..." Previous topic | Next topic
slidenpray Registered since 21st Dec 2009Mon 21-Dec-09 02:50 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"

US

...If it is part of the recall would I have to have a warranty and proof of purchase for them to repair it. The listing states that it is brand new with a one year warranty and the seller has about 30 of these for sale. Since it appears that he isn't an authorized dealer would the warranty be valid? I stand to save alot of money through Bing Cashback if I purchase on ebay. Please help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized deal...
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
21st Dec 2009
slidenpray
22nd Dec 2009
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
22nd Dec 2009
slidenpray
23rd Dec 2009
23rd Dec 2009
23rd Dec 2009
slidenpray
23rd Dec 2009
23rd Dec 2009
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
26th Dec 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 21-Dec-09 08:54 AM
26990 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Greg,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I would think that they would perform service on a recall however
I would be very careful buying from anyone other than a Nikon Authorized Dealer. You could give Nikon a call at 1-800 NIKON US and ask them as to the status of the warranty. Be aware that if the cameras are actually Gray Market (imported into the USA by someone other than Nikon USA) Nikon USA will not service them even for a fee.
Also if the price looks too good to be true......
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

slidenpray Registered since 21st Dec 2009Tue 22-Dec-09 03:48 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 22-Dec-09 03:50 AM by slidenpray

US

Thank you for your reply Marty!

I took your advice and called Nikon. They advised that if it is US Nikon product and purchased it new from Ebay, my Ebay purchase printout would serve as my proof of purchase and the warranty would be valid. Just to be sure I called and spoke to a different associate and this was confirm. Also, they told me that service would be provided on a US nikon even if there was no warranty. I decided to post my findings in case someone else has some concerns. The price is not too good to be true on face alone, but to get 10% cashback through bing it is good deal of savings.

Thanks again!

Greg

edited to include: proof of purchase must show model # and date of purchase for it to be valid.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 22-Dec-09 09:27 PM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

I took your advice and called Nikon. They advised that if it is US Nikon product and purchased it new from Ebay, my Ebay purchase printout would serve as my proof of purchase and the warranty would be valid. Just to be sure I called and spoke to a different associate and this was confirm. Also, they told me that service would be provided on a US nikon even if there was no warranty.

Don't gloss over these parts. If the seller is not an authorized Nikon reseller, you are almost certainly NOT getting a US Nikon product. Therefore you will have NO warranty and NO service from Nikon USA - ever. The seller may provide a warranty of some sort - that's what B&H does when you buy an import from them - but it's worth checking very carefully on this.

Note also that Nikon presumes you are guilty until proven innocent. You must prove that the product is a Nikon USA import, and often that YOU purchased it, to get service or warranty. Often the former is easy since many current products include US in the serial number, but sometimes it is NOT so easy, especially if you give Nikon some reason (rightly or wrongly) to believe that something is a grey market import.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

slidenpray Registered since 21st Dec 2009Wed 23-Dec-09 12:15 AM
#4. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>I took your advice and called Nikon. They advised that
>if it is US Nikon product and
>purchased it new from Ebay, my Ebay purchase printout would
>serve as my proof of purchase and the warranty would be valid.
>Just to be sure I called and spoke to a different associate
>and this was confirm. Also, they told me that service would be
>provided on a US nikon even if
>there was no warranty.

>
>Don't gloss over these parts. If the seller is not an
>authorized Nikon reseller, you are almost certainly NOT
>getting a US Nikon product. Therefore you will have NO
>warranty and NO service from Nikon USA - ever. The seller may
>provide a warranty of some sort - that's what B&H does
>when you buy an import from them - but it's worth checking
>very carefully on this.
>
>Note also that Nikon presumes you are guilty until proven
>innocent. You must prove that the product is a Nikon USA
>import, and often that YOU purchased it, to get service or
>warranty. Often the former is easy since many current
>products include US in the serial number, but sometimes it is
>NOT so easy, especially if you give Nikon some reason (rightly
>or wrongly) to believe that something is a grey market
>import.

Thanks for your reply. Does the D5000 have US in the serial number? The seller has sold at least 20 of these cameras in the past week w/ very positive feedback. Since the seller's ebay ID doesn't appear to be a name of a store it is impossible for me to verify if he is an authorized seller. Based on his feedback it appears that he sells primarily the Canon and Nikon DSLRs. He has 40 of the Nikon D5000 kit left.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 23-Dec-09 01:07 AM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

> Does the D5000 have US in the serial number?

I don't know. You should be able to check up on the seller with Nikon - they know who their authorized resellers are.

> The seller has sold at least 20 of these cameras in the past week w/ very positive feedback.

But (a) they may know whether or not they're dealing with an authorized reseller, and (b) even if not, they may not discover the implications of a grey market sale for months or years, if ever.

> it is impossible for me to verify if he is an authorized seller.

Just ask. And if he is an authorized reseller, he'll also tell you the name of the business, which will check out with Nikon.

_____

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 23-Dec-09 01:08 AM
#6. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

By the way, there ARE authorized resellers selling on EBay. Cameta Camera is one that I know of. They're very reliable, and their prices are generally pretty good. There are surely others, but I don't know who they are.

_____

slidenpray Registered since 21st Dec 2009Wed 23-Dec-09 01:22 AM
#7. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 6

US

blw, I just sent you a PM! Thank you for helping!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 23-Dec-09 08:00 PM
#8. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

For those reading later, I looked up the auction in question, and it does not specify that there is a manufacturer's warranty. (It says: "Manufacturer's warranty: --") The auction description does not anywhere say that the seller is an authorized reseller, so my presumption would be that it's not.

_____

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 26-Dec-09 10:51 PM
3361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: If I buy a D5000 on ebay from a non-authorized dealer (plz help)"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Ask the seller in a PM what the first digit of the serial number is.

Here is a list of regional first digit codes for Nikon serial numbers:

2 - Japan
3 - USA
4 - Europe (excluding UK)
5 - Canada
6 - Australia / New Zealand(?)
7 - Asia (excluding Japan)
8 - UK

Anything other than a "3" will mean it is not an authorized import and will not be covered or even repaired by Nikon USA. Nikon Inc. handles warranty for South American and Caribbean also for cameras but not for lenses or speedlights.
All my Nikon gear is US, although I don't live there now, because its cheaper there and the service is fast enough. My Sigma gear(lens speedlights) are Russian authorized imports because their Moscow warranty service is fast and pretty good.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1037 Previous topic | Next topic