nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1019
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)" Previous topic | Next topic
Michael_D5000 Registered since 14th Dec 2009Tue 15-Dec-09 08:44 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)"
Tue 15-Dec-09 08:45 PM by Michael_D5000

South San Francisco Bay Area, US

LEVEL: Moved from compact camera to DSLR -- not beginner, but definitely need to learn more!
BACKGROUND: Painting, Web Development
EQUIPMENT: Nikon D5000, kit lens 18-55mm
ACCESSORIES: Hoya UV Super-HMC filter

Is it absolutely necessary to perform my "PRE" White Balance test with the filter off (I read it has a blue tint but...)

Is it okay to not use a lens hood to do the "PRE" test? (I don't have one and should I get one and why?

Much appreciation for all your help and hope I'm using this forum correctly (am I in the correct location for these types of question?)

Merry Christmas!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 15-Dec-09 08:56 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 15-Dec-09 08:57 PM by nwcs

Knoxville, US

Personally I don't use filters at all, especially when I'm going for white balance accuracy. I would recommend it not being on at all but if you leave it on I'd do a white balance adjustment while it is on.

You can use or not use a lens hood during the measurement. It doesn't make any difference in the result.

The D5000 forum is the best place for this and I'm sure one of our friendly admins will move this over there.

Oh, and welcome to Nikonians!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 15-Dec-09 09:02 PM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mikel,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>Is it absolutely necessary to perform my "PRE" White Balance test with the filter off (I read it has a blue tint but...)

If you are going to use the filter when you shoot, then Pre-set the WB with the filter On.
If you are going to shoot without the filter, then Pre-set the WB with the filter Off.

>Is it okay to not use a lens hood to do the "PRE" test? (I don't have one and should I get one and why?

Yes! I use an Expodisc to pre-set the WB and a hood gets in the way.
If you are using a gray card I would use a hood on the lens.
I would recommend using a lens hood all the time. I do.
1. A lens hood will reduce the possibility of flare and ghosting.
2. A lens hood adds a layer of protection between the front element of the lens and your surroundings.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

TCnBham Registered since 10th May 2009Tue 15-Dec-09 10:59 PM
444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

I have nothing to add to the excellent advice given other than to say there is one more option: put a gray card (if possible) in the scene, take a shot, remove the gray card, and you can adjust the WB in PP by using the midtone picker in any given PP software with the rest of the shots taken in the same situation. This one works well: http://www.lastolite.com/ezybalance.php Plus, it takes up little room in your bag and can be used to either pre-set, or after the fact setting, as mentioned above.

Terry Crain

I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it.

Michael_D5000 Registered since 14th Dec 2009Wed 16-Dec-09 06:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)"
In response to Reply # 3

South San Francisco Bay Area, US

TO: nwcs, MEMcD, TCnBham

WOW! I was sorta worried I wouldn't get any responses but you all responded with allot of insightful knowledge and I truly appreciate it! Merry Christmas and happy photoing! THANK YOU for the tips and advice!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1019 Previous topic | Next topic