Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1011
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3000 - a couple of questions" Previous topic | Next topic
mborok Registered since 15th Dec 2009Tue 15-Dec-09 02:24 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3000 - a couple of questions"

US

I'm thinking about buying a D3000...

- I know there's no 'live view', but I thought I read somewhere about being able to frame (preview?) a shot on the LCD. Is there any such feature? Or can you only set up the shot via viewfinder, then check what you took on the LCD?

- I have a Nikon F2 (35mm) - would the lenses for this camera fit the D3000? I know that the autofocus would not work, but can they be used with manual focus?

- Any commments, D3000 vs Cannon Rebel XS?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 15-Dec-09 04:41 PM
25576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3000 - a couple of questions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>- I know there's no 'live view', but I thought I read
>somewhere about being able to frame (preview?) a shot on the
>LCD. Is there any such feature?

No! That feature is Live View!

>Or can you only set up the shot via viewfinder, then check what you took on the LCD?

Yes!

>- I have a Nikon F2 (35mm) - would the lenses for this camera
>fit the D3000? I know that the autofocus would not work, but
>can they be used with manual focus?

If your lenses were made before 1977 and have not been AI'd they will have to be AI modified to mount on the D3000 or any other Nikon DSLR.
Cost for the modification about $35.00 per lens. On the D3000, D5000, and D90 bodies AI modified, AI, and AIS lenses will mount and work in Manual exposure mode without metering. DXXX and higher bodies provide the ability to meter with MF lenses.

>- Any commments, D3000 vs Cannon Rebel XS?

My sister just got a D3000 and she is very happy with it!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dpharbison Registered since 27th Nov 2007Tue 15-Dec-09 06:25 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3000 - a couple of questions"
In response to Reply # 1

US

@Marty:

Can you please provide more detail on 'AI modified'? What exactly is this? Where can you find a service to do this in the eastern USA? I have Nikkor lenses from 1974; i.e. 105 2.5 prime; 50 1.4; 55 3.5...would love to mount them on my D80.

>>- I have a Nikon F2 (35mm) - would the lenses for this
>camera
>>fit the D3000? I know that the autofocus would not work,
>but
>>can they be used with manual focus?
>
>If your lenses were made before 1977 and have not been AI'd
>they will have to be AI modified to mount on the D3000 or any
>other Nikon DSLR.
>Cost for the modification about $35.00 per lens. On the
>D3000, D5000, and D90 bodies AI modified, AI, and AIS lenses
>will mount and work in Manual exposure mode without metering.
> DXXX and higher bodies provide the ability to meter with MF
>lenses.

Thanks!

/don harbison

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 15-Dec-09 06:54 PM
25576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3000 - a couple of questions"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Don,

The Aperture ring on the pre-AI lenses is too wide and will break the metering index tab on DSLR's. The modification removes material from the aperture ring of the lens so that the metering tab will work correctly.
John White in Ann Arbor, MI does the conversions for $35.00 each for a Type "B" conversion which is what you want to use the lens on your D80. Here is a link to his website: http://www.aiconversions.com/index.html
He has a lot of information regarding compatibility and FAQ.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 15-Dec-09 06:59 PM
#4. "RE: D3000 - a couple of questions"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Don,

Just to add any Nikon Authorized Repair Center should be able to do the conversion as well, though some may choose not to.
Nikon made conversion kits for AI modifiying lenses. I am sure there as still some out there but where and how many and for which lenses I do not know.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1011 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.