Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #10063
View in linear mode

Subject: "OK to leave DSLR in hot car?" Previous topic | Next topic
Georgia Overdrive Registered since 13th Aug 2014Fri 29-Aug-14 01:41 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"

US

This is a general question - is it OK to leave a DSLR in the trunk of a car that will get very hot in summer? My owner's manual doesn't seem to day.

I got a D3300 about 3 weeks ago so I thought I'd leave my D40 in the trunk, because there are so many times when I'm out and say "I wish I had a camera".

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?
shipsupt Platinum Member
29th Aug 2014
Georgia Overdrive
29th Aug 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
30th Aug 2014
f5titan Gold Member
30th Aug 2014
Georgia Overdrive
30th Aug 2014
jrp Administrator
30th Aug 2014
Georgia Overdrive
01st Sep 2014
MaryMR Silver Member
30th Aug 2014
Georgia Overdrive
01st Sep 2014
CPR
02nd Sep 2014
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Sep 2014
John Bertotti Gold Member
18th Sep 2014
Georgia Overdrive
18th Sep 2014
18th Sep 2014
18th Sep 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
19th Sep 2014

shipsupt Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2006Fri 29-Aug-14 02:16 AM
588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

You'll find it in the specifications section of your manual under operating environment on page 121. The range is 0 to 40C or +32 to +104F.

Cheers,
Chris

Georgia Overdrive Registered since 13th Aug 2014Fri 29-Aug-14 03:08 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 29-Aug-14 03:13 AM by Georgia Overdrive

US

Thanks - there it is. But that is operating temperature - the trunk of the car could get hotter than that. What about the storage temperature (the manual doesn't say).

Speaking of manuals, my FM3a manual is 55 pages long, the D40 is 125 pages, and the D3300 is 370 pages long.

--- added ---
Well, I found this:

http://cachescientific.com/mambo/index2.php?option=content&do_pdf=1&id=9

so it probably gets too hot in the trunk in the summer to store it.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 30-Aug-14 03:12 AM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 2

Martinsville, US

During the fall and winter Maybe but in a Normal August in Mid-Atlantic and lower Outside temperatures can get up to 100-105º or hotter. Now couple that with the trunk of a say a Black Car, your talking about upward of 135-150º. I imagine unless the camera is put in sealed bag surround by ice in a Cooler, the camera electronics would be toast in about 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. Plus most modern camera now are either made with or covered with some forms of Plastic. And while temps may not be high enough completely melt the plastic, could soften it enough to deform it. I would not recommend it. And would The front or back seat be any better. No. Because with a combination hot paint and all the window glass acting like a heat magnify, unless window left open could get even higher.

I wouldn't recommend keeping any modern camera in a Hot car, Van or truck for any length of time. And if in front or Back seat without the windows down for any length of time. Although this Summer has been unusually cold with some 70º degree days and 58º nights in July and August. There have been some days when I got in our Tan colored Impala and for a few seconds until the Air Conditioner came on I could feel my lungs burning from the inside.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

f5titan Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Sat 30-Aug-14 03:21 AM
721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 0

HILO, US

This is what I have done for many years: Place the camera in a ziplock bag, thoroughly dampen a bath towel and cover the bagged camera. As the water in the towel evaporates it keeps the camera cool. This has worked for my film and digital cameras up to +100 degree temperatures from the Carolinas, Florida and all across the western US.

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

Georgia Overdrive Registered since 13th Aug 2014Sat 30-Aug-14 06:22 PM
#5. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

The website I linked to above says it is OK to put in an insulated bag inside a cooler. I'm getting an insulated bag and will measure the temperature. Perhaps I won't be able to do it in the summer.

The idea is to leave my old D40 with the 18-55 in my car so I'll have one available. Ask my family how many times I've said "I wish I had my camera"!

My daughter spent most of July with her grandparents and took a lot of photos. At first she was using her telephone, but I think she finally realized how bad they are. Then she took over my wife's compact camera, which is more acceptable. I thought she might be interested in having my old D40, but not at this point. So that's why I think I'll try to keep it in my car.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 30-Aug-14 06:49 PM
34650 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 30-Aug-14 06:50 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

After the glove compartment, the trunk of a car is the hottest place in a vehicle.
When I know I want to leave a camera in my car, I use a foam cooler in the floor of the back seats area, covered with a towel or cloth of the same color of the upholstery, to avoid calling too much attention when parked.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Georgia Overdrive Registered since 13th Aug 2014Mon 01-Sep-14 01:26 AM
#9. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

According to tests reported on the link I gave, the trunk is about 10F cooler than inside. This agrees with what I've heard before. A greenhouse effect is caused inside the car because light comes in through the glass, but the infrared re-radiated can't get out as well, so it gets hotter.

MaryMR Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2013Sat 30-Aug-14 10:55 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toluca Lake, US

Yikes, NO! In fact the user manual specifically mentiones avoiding heat; ditto for nearly all electronics. And if anyone breaks into your car and your car trunk you are out of luck. Never leave anything valuable, or that you can't afford to replace, locked in a car. It might as well be out in the open.

Mary

Georgia Overdrive Registered since 13th Aug 2014Mon 01-Sep-14 01:24 AM
#8. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

This is my old D40 with an 18-55, so I won't be heartbroken if something happens to it. I may take the risk to keep from missing shots.

CPR Registered since 02nd May 2014Tue 02-Sep-14 12:14 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 8

Crystal River, US

If you took a cooler and placed a thermometer with the minimum/maximum feature you could leave it a day and see the maximum reading. If the reading was high you could try the cool towel or leaving a frozen water bottle in it.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Sep-14 01:12 AM
26138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Denny,

I would never place a frozen water bottle in a cooler together with a DSLR or any other electronic devise for that matter.
The likelyhood of water damege due to condensation or leakage is just too great.

Best Regards,
Marty

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 18-Sep-14 07:36 PM
728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 0

Garretson, US

No matter the insulating aerial used over time the inside equilibrates to the outside temps, the insulating device used will determine how long that takes so if you left it in all the time after a day or two of hot weather you might as well leave it out of the cooler. Also once it equilibrates even if outside temps drop you have the same scenario. Inside the cooler will take as long as the insulating material allows to cool back off.

Instead find the thermal blanket material instrument owners use around their acoustic instruments. Keep it in a small camera bag and when you leave take ti to the car when you get home bring it in. I do this daily. I found at first I would forget to take it with me so I started leaving my keys with the bag in the house or leaving the bag by the keys, now it is second nature to bring my camera gear whenever I go.

I will also use a remote starter to cool the car off mid afternoon.

Georgia Overdrive Registered since 13th Aug 2014Thu 18-Sep-14 08:09 PM
#13. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Thanks. I looked up thermal blankets, and the ones I found are for people. Is that the right type?

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 18-Sep-14 08:49 PM
728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 13

Garretson, US

I will see if I have a link when I get home!

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 18-Sep-14 11:09 PM
#15. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 18-Sep-14 11:13 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

Coloradocase.com is the company the musicians will use for thermal protective cases. I could not find the material but an email to them just might answer some of your thermal material questions.

Conversely you could just try one of the space blankets, role an electronic thermometer up in it and see how high it gets in your car. If it works well you could modify it and insulate a small bag with it.

edit to add; here is a material with promise. http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm sure wouldn't take much.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 19-Sep-14 01:09 AM
672 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: OK to leave DSLR in hot car?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 19-Sep-14 01:57 AM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

The answer you're looking for is 122 F, with a battery installed. It's right in the manual. Without a battery installed, they're shipped in containers across the Pacific and experience temperatures in excess of 170 degrees with no ill effects - indeed, under heavy shooting, the interior of the camera can reach up to about 180 degrees without ill effects to any of the parts.

The plastic is PC, the screen is glass, the boards are glass and metal, and so on. There ARE issues when power is applied and they start generating their own heat, and you can get electron leakage, which is why you shouldn't power it up until it's been cooled down.

However, if you allow it to cool before installing the battery, you don't have that issue. Also, with the D40's batteries, ensure that it's stored with a plastic cap on them so you avoid short circuits.

Also, it's a D40, so even if it does get hurt, it's not like the body owes you anything.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #10063 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.