Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #10048
View in linear mode

Subject: "Learning question-when to use Active D Lighting vs HDR" Previous topic | Next topic
David Bueker Registered since 17th Aug 2014Wed 27-Aug-14 02:35 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Learning question-when to use Active D Lighting vs HDR"
Wed 27-Aug-14 02:36 PM by David Bueker

US

I'm new to a Nikon camera (just bought the 5200), and it seems like there is overlap in terms of what the two features accomplish. Pros/cons for both, guidance on when to use which one is really appreciated.

I mostly shoot outdoor landscape (mountain scenery) and wildlife.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Learning question-when to use Active D Lighting vs ...
PBlais Silver Member
27th Aug 2014
JosephK Silver Member
27th Aug 2014
John Bertotti Gold Member
28th Aug 2014
StevenPituch Silver Member
28th Aug 2014
David Bueker
28th Aug 2014

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Wed 27-Aug-14 02:43 PM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Learning question-when to use Active D Lighting vs HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

Active D lighting helps when you have a larger dynamic range as it will tend to give a tad more exposure for the darker areas. In side an old church where there us sun coming into the windows but the church interior is still not brightly lit.

It is an automatic setting and is only used in JPG mode. With raw shooting you don't need it (it won't work) because a raw file can be manually adjusted to a far greater range than a jpg file can. HDR does two JPG exposures and combines them inside the camera. HDR will handle more range better than active D light though Active D light is perhaps more common.

When you get in situations with bright and dark in the scene try both, then try it again with exposure compensation. Lots of options as well as shooting in manual mode.

I had a D5200 and can tell you it shoots fantastic and if you venture into raw mode. You'll find it is amazing what you can do with Adobe Expressions or Lightroom!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 27-Aug-14 05:54 PM
4497 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Learning question-when to use Active D Lighting vs HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The catch with ADL is that when shooting raw, the files require Nikon software for processing at all ADL settings above the lowest one. Third party software does not know how to complete the processing, so the images will look underexposed.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 28-Aug-14 12:22 AM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Learning question-when to use Active D Lighting vs HDR"
In response to Reply # 2

Garretson, US

I did not know this and have had active d lighting on for over year and have adjusted all my exposures. I am turning it off now. I leave the camera in RAW all the time anyway! Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

StevenPituch Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2012Thu 28-Aug-14 06:52 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Learning question-when to use Active D Lighting vs HDR"
In response to Reply # 3

Corpus Christi, US

Consider bracketing in the field to assure you have recorded the full dynamic range and then use something like Photomatix or Photoshop to do the HDR. You will still need to work on the file in Lightroom and Photoshop but you will have the highest amount of flexibility this way. I do almost all my work this way. In fact I bought a Promote Control a year ago to make bracketing automatic and it is permanently attached to my camera. Yes always shoot in raw.

Regards,
Steve Pituch

Visit HTTP://pituch.smugmug.com

David Bueker Registered since 17th Aug 2014Thu 28-Aug-14 07:26 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Learning question-when to use Active D Lighting vs HDR"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks folks.

Given my limited experiecne with the camera, as well as the fact that I am totally new to RAW and post-processing (I just bought Lightroom), I will just try the gamut (HDR in JPEG, Active D and various exposures in RAW), fill up a bunch of cards (I have a 64G, 32G and 16G for a 2 week trip), and then have fun learning what I can do with the various images over the long winter in New England.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #10048 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.