Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1002
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i" Previous topic | Next topic
RedChristie Registered since 14th Dec 2009Mon 14-Dec-09 05:15 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i"

US

I'm looking to get a dslr for my wife for the holidays. I shoot Nikon (and Leica) and she owned a Canon AE1 when she was into photography in the 'old days'. Thus, we have lenses for both.

I was researching the two cameras recently and found a head-to-head review that compared the two cameras:

http://www.h2hreviews.com/article/Head-to-Head-DSLR-Camera-Review-Canon-EOS-Rebel-T1i-vs-Nikon-D5000.html

The reviewer clearly prefer the Nikon it seems, but the users strongly favor the Canon.

Does anyone own both? Know how the video quality stacks up from both of the cameras?

My wife loves nature - shooting wildlife, but mostly will take pics/vids of the grandkids.

Thanks,
Red

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i
Asgard Administrator
14th Dec 2009
max and kate
14th Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator
14th Dec 2009
RedChristie
14th Dec 2009
km6xz Moderator
15th Dec 2009

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 14-Dec-09 06:16 PM
51178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Red,

I have no experience with Canon, but what I can say is, Nikon is the way to go

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

max and kate Registered since 14th Nov 2007Mon 14-Dec-09 06:56 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

Something else to consider: I'm pretty sure the AE-1 used FD mount lenses, which would not be compatible with the modern EOS bodies. So if you go with the Rebel, you will need all new lenses. You might want to have your wife handle copies of each camera. When I switched from film to digital, I looked at every brand available in my price range and found that the Nikons were much more comfortable for me to hold and use. All of the Canons below the 20D felt too cramped. Your wife might find otherwise.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 14-Dec-09 07:57 PM
26109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Red,

Welcome to Nikonians!
When Canon introduced their new EOS line of autofocus cameras in 1988 they did something that no other maufacturer had done. They totally abandoned their previous lenses. The FD mount lenses used on their manual focus cameras simply would not fit on the new EOS cameras at all. Not only was the mount coupling different, but the "flange to focal plane" distance was longer (44mm vs 42mm), so even if an adapter was made which allowed an FD lens to mecanically couple to the EOS mount, the lens wouldn't focus to infinity. To allow the lens to focus to infinity, the flange of the FD lens would have to be 2mm inside the EOS body. So her Canon lenses will not work on an EOS Digital Rebel T1i.

Check out DxO Mark: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor/
The D5000 does very well even compared to the Pro Canon bodies.
I would get the Nikon!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

RedChristie Registered since 14th Dec 2009Mon 14-Dec-09 11:59 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for all the feedback - impressive that the D5000 can keep up with much more expensive Canons!!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 15-Dec-09 10:11 AM
3345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5000 vs Canon Rebel T1i"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

In real use the differences come out more, not just static tests of individual specs. AF performance and real world low light capabilities are noticeably better with the D5000. The only downside really is lack of a focusing motor so older lenses that require an external focusing motor will not AF on the d500 but will easily work NF.
If she ignores the specs and just holds both she would pick the Nikon because it feels better, not like a toy which is a common complaint about Rebels.
When I bought my D90, it was newly released. Since it was out of my price range I had not even looked at the D90. The feature list of the 450D/Xsi seemed impressive and it was reasonably priced. I went to a store that had both brands and immediately was unimpressed with the size, fit in my hand and flimsiness of the Xsi. I picked up the D90 and immediately knew it was for me, before I even knew its specs. Boy, am I glad I tried them both, since that time I have discovered the D90 is even more competent performer than I could have hoped for.
My friends who have similar Canons are envious.
Years ago I shot extensively with a Canon A1 which I loved. All the nice lenses I had became obsolete overnight however.
There is nothing in common between her older Canon and the Rebel so she will would not have an advantage of being a prior Canon shooter when trying to master her new camera.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1002 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.