Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9497
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nef to Tiff?" Previous topic | Next topic
John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 01:04 AM
728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nef to Tiff?"

Garretson, US

Why oh Why is a TIFF so huge compared to the RAW file it is made from? I am shooting RAW with the D3200, did some tweaking so I figure the data to increase but then comes the TIFF, 23mb raw to 144 mb tiff! Seems crazy to me? Out of curiosity is the RAW file compressed?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nef to Tiff?
blw Moderator
20th Nov 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
20th Nov 2012
20th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
20th Nov 2012
elec164 Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
21st Nov 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 11:05 AM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nef to Tiff?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The NEF is compressed. Your TIF probably is not. There is an option in TIF to compress it - all of the options are lossless, so there's no reason not to do it unless your computer is just too overloaded to get it done quickly. (It takes a pretty old system to be that slow - like 10 years old, probably.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 11:22 AM
728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nef to Tiff?"
In response to Reply # 1

Garretson, US

My old Mac book pro is chugging on but is getting slow. Took me almost 1.5 hours to do two picture in aperture. Thanks for the info I saw the compressed option but wasn't sure if I should do it. I was setting up the two pics to burn to a disk so mom and grandma could put them on their computers and print them if they wanted to. A jog would have probably been fine in this case. Thanks Bertotti!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 12:05 PM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nef to Tiff?"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> Took me almost 1.5 hours to do two picture in aperture.

Something's wrong. That's off by a factor of about 60x - it should take about a minute and a half, not an hour and a half.

How much memory do you have? And what type of MacBook do you have? (Do About This Mac -> More Info, then look at the Model Identifier in the Hardware Overview.)

_____

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 05:57 PM
#5. "RE: Nef to Tiff?"
In response to Reply # 3

Garretson, US

Some of the time was me figuring out what I wanted to do. Some was processing and some was it catching up from loading several hundred pics. I had it loaded with work and a full HD didn't help. Thanks! Bertotti

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 12:07 PM
#4. "RE: Nef to Tiff?"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> was setting up the two pics to burn to a disk so mom and grandma could put them on their computers and print them if they wanted to. A jog would have probably been fine in this case.

JPG is certainly plenty for distribution. The only place you really do not want JPG is if you're saving it for re-editing. In such cases you want TIF, PSD, DNG etc - lossless formats. You lose something every time you save it in JPEG. With a lossless format, well, you don't lose stuff. But if you're sending it out for printing, such as this, nobody re-saves it anyway, so nothing to be lost.

_____

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 21-Nov-12 04:31 PM
2100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nef to Tiff?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>The NEF is compressed. Your TIF probably is not.

While this is most likely true, it really doesn't account for the file size difference.

Even if your NEF was uncompressed, it probably would only be about 38MB in size.

The main difference in file size has to do with the bit depth of the information. The NEF more or less contains only the raw sensor data dump which in your camera is only 12-bits in depth. The Tiff on the other hand is the converted raw data which expands once demosaiced into 48-bits per pixel.

An interesting side note that you may not be aware of. Take an NEF straight from the camera and load it onto your computer. Make note of the file size, then open that NEF in either View or Capture NX2 and make a minor insignificant change then resave it. Then check the new file size. You may or may not be surprised at the increase file size.

Pete

Pete

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 04:43 PM
#7. "RE: Nef to Tiff?"
In response to Reply # 6

Garretson, US

Interesting I was surprised by the difference in file size. I expected the tiff to be bigger but by a factors of five! Wow.

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9497 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.