Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9465
View in linear mode

Subject: "Long way to go, for me and the bird" Previous topic | Next topic
old hippie Registered since 26th Oct 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 02:56 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Long way to go, for me and the bird"

US

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/edandhazel/_DSC0034.jpg
This was in my back yard this morning..seven foot wing span.
I have much to learn, so please critic..thanks old hippy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 12-Nov-12 04:48 PM
3334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Long way to go, for me and the bird"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The image appears to have some motion blur, but otherwise is good. There was little EXIF info, so what lens was used, shutter speed, aperture, etc.?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 13-Nov-12 12:50 PM
26844 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Long way to go, for me and the bird"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

There's obvious camera motion coming from some combination of lack of VR, long focal length, long shutter speed, and lack of skill hand-holding. It's apparent that it's camera motion rather than subject motion because the entire frame is blurry.

The exposure seems OK, assuming that it wasn't near dawn or dusk.

Depending on what you had intended, you might have used an even longer focal length.

As noted, some EXIF information would help a lot.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Wed 14-Nov-12 09:48 PM
14343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Long way to go, for me and the bird"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

A Great Blue Heron. Some shooting information is needed to offer a constructive critic. Camera shake or movement is apparent though--the whole frame is soft. The light tells me that perhaps you were working with a slow shutter speed. The focal length you were using and if you were hand holding will tell the story.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 16-Nov-12 03:58 PM
6801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Long way to go, for me and the bird"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Ed, as mentioned it is really very hard to help you too much concerning this photo of a Great Blue Heron, as we have no clue about the camera, lens, exposure, and other factors which went into making this image.

Based on the image itself, as noted, it is significantly blurry, likely due to camera/lens motion, not compensated by camera/lens support, perhaps handholding technique which could be improved, and/or a poor choice of shutter speed within the exposure settings, etc., considering support factors.

As to composition of the image, it's hard to say, considering we know nothing about what cropping, if any you've done with the photo, and other composition factors. On the whole, I find the area of the stream above the head quite disconcerting and feel its presence takes away from the image, despite my affinity toward wildlife images which show of habitat.

I have several suggestions which would help us help you.

Always include relevant data, either by leaving the exif data in your image for us to review, or publishing it with the photo, or including it in your post. Such information as camera, lens, shutter speed, ISO, f/stop, is essential. Other helpful information would be if any supplemental lighting was used, time of day of the photo with date, location, etc.

Please fill in your profile to the extent you feel comfortable. Right now it's empty and if we had some of that info we'd be better able to help you.

Finally, for wildlife photos, I strongly suggest you post these kinds of questions in our Wildlife Photography Forum. That's the best place to get critiques of this kind of photo and hints about improving them.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9465 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.