Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9456
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cards size speed what is really needed" Previous topic | Next topic
John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 09:45 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cards size speed what is really needed"
Sat 10-Nov-12 11:20 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

I have five cards. What is really needed in a card? What I have are a PNY 32gig at 35 mbs
A couple 32gig 30 mbs sandisk ulta
And on a whim, very good sale at the time, a couple sandisk 8 gig extreme pro 95 mbs.

Should I save the high speed 8gig for video and the others for pics? Do you guys use different cards for different subjects, like is one better for low light or moving objects?
Thanks Bertotti

Edit to add most of these questions where answered using nikoscope. Still curious how you manage your cards though. Do you reserve certain speeds or sizes for certain applications? Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cards size speed what is really needed
JosephK Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
11th Nov 2012
John Bertotti Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
SheriB Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
11th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
11th Nov 2012
12th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
11th Nov 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 12:56 AM
4153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cards size speed what is really needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

As a general rule, I try to get the speed of the card to write slightly faster than the camera does. Going faster is more expensive. However, while it does not help the camera, going faster does help when downloading to the computer using a card reader.

Since none of my cameras do video, I don't need the more expensive super size cards.

The best cards I have at the moment are Lexar CF 8gig x400 UDMA cards.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 11-Nov-12 06:41 AM
26572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Cards size speed what is really needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I buy the least expensive SanDisk or Lexar cards that are faster than my camera. I have a D3, so that's about 30 MB/sec. That means I can buy dirt-cheap CF cards. There's no point in "buying for the future" as I have no idea what the future is, and anyway the price of flash is plummeting so quickly that waiting until I need it is a far more cost-effective strategy.

As for size, I carry enough that I can be sure I can do an entire trip without reloading. For me that means about 4500 frames of 14-bit lossless compressed NEF, or about 35 GB. Plus some extra, to be sure I can make the whole trip. In my case I have two cameras on any trip like this, so I target 48 GB, split into at least five cards: three for the D3 (since it has two slots) and two for the D2x. That amounts to two 16GB and one 8GB for the D3 and two 8GB for the D2x. They're all rated for 30 MB/sec, and effectively they're interchangeable, although in practice they rarely go other than where they are intended. (The third D3 card and the second D2x card barely get used, and you can probably see why.) And I have as group of older CF cards in the camera bags, ranging from 128 MB to 4GB, obtained with earlier cameras. The 128MB one is used the most: it is what I use to store my D3's settings. Since this consumes a couple of MB, and I do it maybe once a year, it hardly matters how well it does it.

Most of the time this amount of flash is massive overkill. For example on my current trip, I've only shot 99 frames in a week, with maybe 200 for today. But with 30 MB/sec flash down to about $2/GB, this is not a huge investment.

As I do not do video seriously, I don't even know what that takes. I have two 8GB SD cards for my Fuji x10.

Incidentally, my normal practice is to download cards to laptop every night on a trip. But I don't format the cards until the Lightroom trip archive is transferred to the main system at home and also copied onto the backup server. That way I am limited to only a single copy of the data only from the the shutter flies until I get it onto the laptop at night. (And if I have to do something more important, I can set the D3 to write every file onto both CF cards.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 07:06 AM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cards size speed what is really needed"
In response to Reply # 2

Garretson, US

Thanks guys! I need to go see how fast my D3200 is now but it looks as if I have enough memory to choke a horse! I guess that means no more impulse buys on memory for a long while. I guess in the end the speed will only really help me keep my buffer clear. I have had to wait for that before so I will probably put the slow cards with the wife's P&S and kids P&S. I have also had to wait for what felt like a long time downloading raw to my Mac. I have a card reader but it is just as easy for me to tether the camera, the current card in there has only been out of the camera twice this year. I wonder is the card reader a faster method then tethering? I am going to try a 95 mbs 8gig card and see how quick it is. I haven't had more then a couple hundred pics on a card yet. Curious though seems the raw fils take up more room in the computer then on the card. Is this true or is it just my perception? As always I appreciate the help! Thanks Bertotti

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sun 11-Nov-12 11:47 AM
1614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Cards size speed what is really needed"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I cannot answer WHY (you could probably do a search) but I know when I started here I saw a number of posts saying to not transfer by tethering the camera, to use a card reader.
I tethered until I got a card reader and I do feel it is faster.But I run an ancient Windows system not a MAC

Sheri Becker

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 12:30 PM
#5. "RE: Cards size speed what is really needed"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 11-Nov-12 12:31 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

I did stumble on some references to the card reader and see a lot use it but I don't remember seeing anything as to why. Just a lot of people that prefer it which to me was a bit odd as it seems like a longer process. Pull you card get the reader and cord jack up instal card etc, with the camera I just plug in a cord and turn it on but it isn't fast. Might be worth a try to see how fast the reader is. Thanks! Bertotti

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 11-Nov-12 08:13 PM
26572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Cards size speed what is really needed"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

The biggest reasons folks don't use the camera is because it's slow and because it uses the camera's battery, possibly for quite a while. Generally speaking this applies to all of the cameras, although I don't know about the D4/D800.

> I run an ancient Windows system not a MAC

Windows and Mac are on the same hardware these days, and have been for 5+ years. It'll be quicker on a PC too.

_____

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 07:03 AM
#8. "RE: Cards size speed what is really needed"
In response to Reply # 7

Garretson, US

I need to try my reader then. I don't fill a card up near as far as you but still get stuck sitting while it downloads through the tether from the camera.

Thanks! Bertotti

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 11-Nov-12 08:11 PM
#6. "RE: Cards size speed what is really needed"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

> I wonder is the card reader a faster method then tethering?

Depending on your card reader and card, probably so. I have an ancient Lexar card reader (2005?) and even that is significantly quicker than my D3. More modern stuff is even faster.

It has occurred to me to get faster cards and readers, because those four or five trips per year where I am shooting 4000+ frames can take a long time to import. But I haven't, because it's only four or five trips a year, and I routinely get dinner or a beer and leave the last one to import overnight.

> Curious though seems the raw fils take up more room in the computer then on the card. Is this true or is it just my perception?

It should be a perception. The files are just copied (literally) from card to HDD, unless you are doing a DNG conversion or something like that.

_____

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9456 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.