nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL New to Photography (Public) topic #9422
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ED G..." Previous topic | Next topic
old hippie   US  Registered since 26th Oct 2012 Thu 01-Nov-12 07:03 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ED G Lens"

need help...bought this lens.listed as a nikon 2161..
now see a
d designation as the last letter instead of G as I thought I was purchasing..please reply quick

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ... SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.
01st Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ... blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
01st Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ... old hippie
02nd Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ... MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
03rd Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ... old hippie
03rd Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ... Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
03rd Nov 2012

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.   SouthernYork Co, US  Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010 Thu 01-Nov-12 07:58 PM
1950 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ED G Lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 01-Nov-12 07:59 PM by SheriB

We kind of need a question..as in "Will this lens work on my DXXXX?"
or ????

What do you want to know?

Have you contacted the seller about the lens not being as listed?

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Thu 01-Nov-12 08:04 PM
27071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ED G Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

As Sheri says, what problem are you asking about? Your question as posed is not clear.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

old hippie   US  Registered since 26th Oct 2012 Fri 02-Nov-12 08:20 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ED G Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

sorry for the limited info..I called adorama and got an answer.. the lens in question was listed incorectly on ebay, and was not compatable with my D5100.
Again I thank all that viewed my request, and or answered...Thanks Ed

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sat 03-Nov-12 12:06 AM
27643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ED G Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Ed,

There are three versions of the Nikkor AF 70-300mm:

1. AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED
2. AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
3. 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR

Both #1 and #2 have screwdriver type AF drive systems and require a camera body with an AF motor built into it. #1 has been discontinued for several years. #2 is still in production though it is optically the worst lens in the Nikkor line.

#3 is optically the best of the three and has a AF motor built into the lens so it will fully support AF when mounted on a: D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D5000, D3100, D5100, and D3200.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

old hippie   US  Registered since 26th Oct 2012 Sat 03-Nov-12 03:43 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ED G Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Went ahead and bought the 2161 from Canada for 415.00 shipped...
Like a kid waiting on Christmas, well actually it is my Christmas present..
Question about lens cleaning..Can I use somthing like windex and a
lens cleaning cloth..I always keep a filter on..But in Hawaii earlier
this year I did take the filter off for shot time to see how it affected shots.
While I,m asking. We Cruise vacation every year..And I normally use a
point and shoot nikon for beach shots..What about the D5100 with the new 55-300 ..am I asking for trouble exposing my equipment to all that sand..
Going to Aruba,Grand Turk, And Dominica next April.
Maybe pick up some Rum..Later Ed

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography   Philadelphia, US  Charter Member Sat 03-Nov-12 05:18 PM
7342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 AF-S VR IF AF ED G Lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Please, not Windex. Windex and other similar cleaners contain ammonia and butyl cellosolve which will damage the lens' coatings over time, maybe not from using it once or twice, but after a while, the coating will be stripped or be damaged.

I recommend Purosol Optical Cleaner. It's an enzyme based optical cleaner, and it works exceedingly well, even on sticky salt spray deposits, which get on lenses during cruises.

Purosol is available at all major camera stores.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Forums Lobby GENERAL New to Photography (Public) topic #9422 Previous topic | Next topic