Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9405
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!" Previous topic | Next topic
dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 09:54 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"

Chicago, US

Hi there,

I just joined the forum recently. I'm a hobbyist photographer and started out by purchasing the Nikon D90 about 4 years ago. I have really loved the quality of pictures that it has given me, and I've learned a lot along the way. The questions I have for anyone who is willing to answer is:

1) I'm considering selling my Nikon D90 and upgrading to the D7000. I did some research and saw that most people are selling their D90 body for about $500 (US). I went to www.myshuttercount.com and it told me that I have 11,434 actuations on my camera. According to other research I did, it said that the D90 has a shutter life expectancy of about 100,000. I have babied this camera since I first purchased it. Would it be reasonable to list my camera for $500?

2) What is your opinion of the D7000? I have purchased quite a few lenses (about 4-5) for my D90, and from what I have read, they should be usable on the D7000 right?

Thank you for reading this and I look forward to any input you can provide.

Deb

Deb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
― Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
31st Oct 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
31st Oct 2012
Drbee Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
phlash46
05th Nov 2012
micolhart Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
dfaughtcvt Silver Member
06th Nov 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 31-Oct-12 10:41 PM
26816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Debbie,

Again, Welcome to Nikonians!
KEH has used D90's priced between:
LN- $484.00
EX+. $449.00
EX. $415.00

Their prices are considered the top of the market.
They rate the used gear that they sell very conservatively and provide a 6 month warranty so they stand behind what they sell.
If you have the box and all of the accessories you can ask about the same or maybe a little more and be ready to take a little less.
If you don't discounting the KEH price by about 10% or so you would be more likely to sell it.

Yes!
Any lens that works on the D90 will also work on the D7000.
The D7000 is fully compatible with All Nikon F mount AF lenses with the exception of the 80mm f/2.8 and the 200mm f/3.5 made for the F3AF.
It will also support metering with Manual Focus AI, AI modified, and AIS type lenses.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 10:44 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Thank you for your help, Marty! I still have the box and everything for my D90. And I am being conservative in saying the condition that my camera is in. I have extra batteries for it too. I think I'll probably ask $500 (a little high I know) and be willing to go as low as $450. Do you think it would be ok to put it up for sale here on the forum?

Deb

Deb

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
― Ansel Adams

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 31-Oct-12 10:58 PM
26816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Debbie,

List it in the I want to Sell forum.
Provide a full discription, maybe a few photos of the kit and your asking price.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 31-Oct-12 10:57 PM
5828 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Deb,

Your body seems lightly used and is likely in excellent condition. However, I think you might find looking at the values at www.keh.com a good guideline. KEH lists one camera for $484 that they have in LN- condition. That means just like new but without the box. It also means that someone is selling a camera for that money with a guarantee and 10-day return policy.

My personal guide line is to look at the KEH values and discount accordingly since I can't offer a warranty or as a buyer would be responsible for basic/routine repair charges.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 10:59 PM
#5. "RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Ah.... good point, Roger. Since I'm not offering any type of warranty, I should offer the camera at $450-ish and possibly go no lower than $425?

Thanks!
Deb

Deb

― Ansel Adams

phlash46 Registered since 01st Feb 2008Mon 05-Nov-12 06:28 PM
2207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"
In response to Reply # 5

Peekskill, US

That's about right.

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 11:54 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"
In response to Reply # 6

Gilford, US

I also have a D90. On occasion have thought of up grading. How would you make out $$ wise if you went to BH Photo and traded up ???

Thanks

SEMPER FI
Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 07:30 PM
#8. "RE: Hi from Illinois -- newbie with questions please!"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

I'm contacting Adorama to see what they would give me for the D90, and then possibly buy the D7000 from them. B&H Photo would be another option.

Deb

Deb

― Ansel Adams

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9405 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.