Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9383
View in linear mode

Subject: "getting subject in focus in an action shot" Previous topic | Next topic
elopomorph Registered since 08th Sep 2012Mon 29-Oct-12 12:05 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"getting subject in focus in an action shot"

US

I am struggling getting my subject in focus when I am taking actions shots. I have failed at this task in many ways. I think I have the wrong settings on my camera. I will explain my most recent failure.

I tried to take a photo of a hawk flying by me in an animal show. The hawk was flying fast and I managed to get the background in focus but the hawk was blurry. The hawk only flew about 10 feet from me. Below are the specs and settings of my shot. I would GREATLY appreciate any advice on how to get this shot.

Camera is a Nikon D300. Lens is Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8. The camera was set on Aperture priority and the aperture was 3.2. It was a sunny day in St. Petersburg, Florida. The metering was set at center weighted metering. The autofocus was set at Dynamic area autofocus. The focus mode selector was set to Single-Servo Autofocus,however, I think I also shot photos with Continous-servo Autofocus and I still got blurry subjets. The bird was flying in fast so I set the Release mode indicator to continous high speed.

I think the root of my problem is getting the subject in focus when you are shooting continously using the continous high speed mode. Again, I would appreciate any advice.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 29-Oct-12 02:21 AM
26667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: getting subject in focus in an action shot"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Two major things to change: first, you MUST change from single servo to continuous focus. I'd set it to single point too, until you learn the AF system. Then the way to get this is to put the AF target onto the subject EARLY, then track it (AF activated, meaning half-press the shutter or AF-ON button) until you want to take the picture. Then squeeze the release smoothly when the right time arrives.

when you use AF-S (single servo), the camera moves to focus, then locks in - and stops. If your subject is still moving, as in this case, the frame is out of focus. In AF-C, the camera keeps adjusting continuously. The more advanced ones - the D300 is certainly one of them - even calculate where the AF will be a few milliseconds ahead of time, since the camera can run at high enough frame rate that the AF sensors are blacked out a considerable proportion of the time.

With AF-C and an early lock-on, you can shoot blazing fast things, even with slow lenses. Your D300 will certainly capture Indy cars at 240 mph - I've seen it done.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Tue 30-Oct-12 08:06 PM
14327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: getting subject in focus in an action shot"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Continuous focus and Dynamic area focus with the 9 or 21 pt setting should get you there, but the other element is simply practice and skill panning with your subject so you can lock on focus to begin with. It's not easy but with practice you can get the hang of it. If the hawk was only 10 feet away, it sounds like you would have had to react and focus very quickly making it even more difficult.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9383 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.