nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL New to Photography (Public) topic #9382
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens adjust/ micro adjust" Previous topic | Next topic
John Bertotti Gold Member  Garretson, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012 Sun 28-Oct-12 06:25 PM
764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
Sun 28-Oct-12 06:27 PM by John Bertotti

My D3200 isn't capable of it as far as I know but it seems like people go to great lengths to do this fine tuning. Does it make that much difference? Does it always require specialized software? Is it a plus in that when beginning to upgrade bodies it is a desirable feature? I assume there must be memory locations for different lenses in the bodies that allow this because some of you seem to have your weight on glass!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
29th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust John Bertotti Gold Member
29th Oct 2012
     Reply message RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
29th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
29th Oct 2012
29th Oct 2012
29th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
29th Oct 2012
29th Oct 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 29-Oct-12 03:15 AM
26996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
In response to Reply # 0

AF fine tune is just what is says: fine tuning. If you have either slow lenses (f/3.5-5.6 zooms, for example) or a lower res camera (my D2h!) it doesn't matter much. The AF is rarely off enough that the DOF doesn't cover up the problem, and even if it doesn't a lower res camera doesn't allow you to see it. On the other hand, if you're shooting with a 200/f2 on a D800e, well, chances are higher that you'll need it.

To date with my obsolete 12mp bodies I have never needed it. I have fewer than ten fast lenses on which the focus might be noticeable if it's off, so chances are that even with a D800e I might still not need it. The cameras havce many locations for various lens models. It does not need specialized software, although I suppose that makes it easier. You're just taking pictures, changing a firmware setting, and then comparing the results.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

John Bertotti Gold Member  Garretson, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012 Mon 29-Oct-12 03:49 AM
764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 29-Oct-12 03:50 AM by John Bertotti

Why is it more noticeable on a fast lens? It is what I thought it was but I don't see how speed matters? Thanks!

Corrected spelling again.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Mon 29-Oct-12 05:43 AM
27434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi John,

The DOF (Depth of Field) of a Fast Lens shot Wide Open can be paper thin. This makes nailing the focus much more critical than when using a slow lens or even when the fast lens is stopped down where the DOF is much wider.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Mon 29-Oct-12 06:20 AM
27434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi John,

>My D3200 isn't capable of it as far as I know but it seems
>like people go to great lengths to do this fine tuning. Does
>it make that much difference?

Is some cases yes. As Brian noted above; focus is more crital when using fast glass due to the very narrow DOF leaving very little margin for error.

>Does it always require specialized software?

No! A Lens-Align focusing tool is a measuring devise, not software.

>Is it a plus in that when beginning to upgrade bodies it is a >desirable feature?

AF Fine Tune is included on the Pro-sumer and Pro bodies whose users are more likely to own and use fast lenses.
I don't think it will ever be included on the entry level bodies since the vast majority of users use the kit lenses and including the feature would more than likely cause more problems than it would solve.

>I assume there must
>be memory locations for different lenses in the bodies that
>allow this because some of you seem to have your weight on
>glass!

The Pro-sumer bodies provide enough memory space for up to 12 lenses.
The Pro bodies provide enough memory for up to 20 lenses.

I have 4 bodies that have AF Fine Tune including a D800E and a fair collection of Fast Glass and have not felt the need to use it. Yet!

Best Regards,
Marty

John Bertotti Gold Member  Garretson, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012 Mon 29-Oct-12 07:17 AM
#5. "RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
In response to Reply # 0

Guys thanks for the replies it does make sense now. I still don't understand dof in regards to speed but for now I just take it for what it is. I'll do some research to figure out why speed can be a function of this, mainly because I find the reasons/physics behind it very cool!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Mon 29-Oct-12 07:38 AM
#6. "RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 29-Oct-12 07:44 AM by MEMcD

Hi John,

Lenses with Large Apertures (small f/#'s) are considered "Fast" because the wider opening lets more light reach the film or sensor plane that will allow a faster shutter speed to be used for any given ISO setting. Compared to a "Slow" lens with a small Aperture that lets significantly less light reach the film of sensor plane and requires a "Slower" shutter speed. Thus the term: Fast Lens or "Fast Glass".
The Larger the Aperture (smaller f/#) the narrower the DOF. The smaller the Aperture (higher f/#'s) the deeper the DOF.

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:27 AM
26996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
In response to Reply # 5

> I still don't understand dof in regards to speed

On a D3, focused at 8 feet, this is the DOF available:

135mm at f/2 (135/f2 AF DC): about 0.75"
135mm at f/2.8 (eg 70-200/f2.8 AFS VR): about 2"
135mm at f/5.6 (eg 28-300/3.5-5.6 AFS VR): a bit over 4"
85mm at f/1.4: about 1.3"
200mm at f/2: about 0.3"

This is a fair extreme demonstration (for example I'm not even sure the 200/f2 can focus this closely). At infinity focus all of the numbers are much, much larger. Focused at 2000 feet, the 200/f2 at f/2 yields 760 feet DOF in front of the focus point and about 3100 feet behind the focus point. Clearly at infinity you wouldn't need AF fine tune; if it can't get within 750 feet of focus, it's not "fine" tuning, it's just broken. (And badly so.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

John Bertotti Gold Member  Garretson, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:34 AM
#8. "RE: Lens adjust/ micro adjust"
In response to Reply # 7

I get it now, thanks! Those numbers illustrate well! Later Bertotti.

Forums Lobby GENERAL New to Photography (Public) topic #9382 Previous topic | Next topic