Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9329
View in linear mode

Subject: "Time lapse photography" Previous topic | Next topic
John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 21-Oct-12 06:37 AM
652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Time lapse photography"
Sun 21-Oct-12 06:37 AM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

So with the D3200 and its limited functionality is there a way to do time lapse photography?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Time lapse photography
blw Moderator
21st Oct 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
21st Oct 2012
21st Oct 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
21st Oct 2012
blw Moderator
21st Oct 2012
21st Oct 2012
blw Moderator
21st Oct 2012
cod
21st Oct 2012
laedge
15th Dec 2012
15th Dec 2012
aolander Silver Member
16th Dec 2012
16th Dec 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 21-Oct-12 07:04 AM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Certainly. Just use some external functionality. I'm pretty sure that ControlMyNikon can do this in tethered mode, for example.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 21-Oct-12 12:48 PM
652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 1

Garretson, US

Hey thanks! Truth is I had no idea where to start! Thanks Bertotti

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 21-Oct-12 01:01 PM
#3. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 1

Garretson, US

Been googling and either my D3200 isn't listed as supported or it works windows only. I have checked control my Nikon and nikons own program. I now have another reason to upgrade in the future.

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Sun 21-Oct-12 02:11 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 21-Oct-12 02:12 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi John.

Yes, time-lapse photography is very interesting with good results.
Start with your tripod - you will need that.
And I suggest your 18-55 lens.
Be sure to check out the time-lapse forum here at Nikonians.

Good luck; looking forward to some of your images.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 21-Oct-12 02:12 PM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

I just had a look at their web site, and the wording on the D3200 is pretty ambiguous. They say that "pretty much all new cameras are supported other than P&S." So I'd ask them directly about the D3200.

As far as Windows only goes- I use it on MacOS via a Windows virtual machine. Most folks on here would probably prefer Parallels, which is a way of running Windows (or any other operating system) in... well, a window on the Mac. I personally use VirtualBox for this - it is free for non-commercial use. I happen to know the developers, which of course is a major advantage, but it does work well and I have not actually had to call on them. CMN works quite well in this arrangement. I mostly use it for DOF stacking, but on a D3.

_____

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 21-Oct-12 02:52 PM
#6. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 5

Garretson, US

I'm on a fully loaded mac book pro going on 6 years old. No more room for any of that. i do have vmware fusion but I just dont have the resources to get it on here. I have been going round and round on wether to upgrade this machine or replace it or chase a more advanced camera. I certainly do use the mac more but hate the idea of getting rid of it. I dont like the black keypad on the new ones.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 21-Oct-12 05:20 PM
#7. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond, US

Well, mine's 5 years old next month, so I'm not in much better shape than you are. VMware will do the trick too.

_____

cod Registered since 12th Apr 2009Sun 21-Oct-12 09:54 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

I assume you're asking about ways of firing the shutter automatically at timed intervals rather than about processing in software. You can find several cheap (around $30) remotes that have a built-in intervalometer/timer on eBay that are compatible with the D3200. Just search for "D3200 remote timer" or similar. Most come from China and they probably aren't the best build quality in the world but they should work and are cheap enough to experiment with. I have used a cheap Chinese remote without the timer (my D300s has a built-in intervalometer) for about 2 years and am very happy with it.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
codonoghue.prosite.com

laedge Registered since 09th Jul 2012Sat 15-Dec-12 06:07 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Maryville, US

Hi,

The basics you will need:

- DSLR
- Tripod
- Intervalometer (Intervals between frames, length of exposure)
These can be purchased at B&H, Adorama, Amazon. The third party are
fairly inexpensive ($30 - $150). Here is a link
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=intervalometer+D3200&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Aintervalometer+D3200&ajr=0

I am pretty sure the D3200 has and MC-DC2 accessory connection so the devices in the link should work for you.

There are a lot of good resources on the web...Google - Time Lapse Photography

Hope this helps.

lewis

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 15-Dec-12 07:25 PM
#10. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 9

Garretson, US

Thanks, this and a lightning strike detector are on my wants list. I made them contingent on making a few learning goals with the camera first. When I can consistently get a good manual exposure then I will have them. By consistent I mean 90 % of the time day or night flash or not. I'm at about 70% now and if I adept some adjustments in aperture. I am only at about 35% if I want perfect out of the camera. Manually I am always off slightly from what I want. Don't know if that is normal but I constantly wonder how some of my old film pictures were acceptable to me and now they look like candidates for a scan and rework post processing. Lol I digress thanks for the link I will check it out now! Later Bertotti

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 16-Dec-12 06:00 PM
3239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 16-Dec-12 06:02 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Did you shoot slide film or negative film in the past? The printing process with negative film took care of minor exposure flaws, and often over exposure was helpful with color negative film. Exposure bracketing was often employed when using slide film as it was less forgiving of exposure errors.

Alan

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 06:34 PM
#12. "RE: Time lapse photography"
In response to Reply # 11

Garretson, US

I always shot film. I have a box full of negatives somewhere. I knew little of photography then, some where good shots and often many just didn't get printed because my exposures were messed up. I didn't have a clue. But every picture that got printed was a success for me then. Funny how our perceptions change over time. I was only a kid and my 35 mm kid camera had little adjustment but when I used my moms k1000 and Lateran my Richo I realized how little I new but was usually to broke to do much photography. I my sure a lot of people has similar experiences, ignorance is bliss eh! Lol

With all the help I have gotten here and the understanding exposure book things are really looking up! Thanks Bertotti

I do have several a lot of slides in storage also that my mom took. I will get them scanned at some point in time as week.

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9329 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.