Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9313
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bad Memory Card?" Previous topic | Next topic
boldventure Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2012Fri 19-Oct-12 10:54 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bad Memory Card?"

Rock Island, US

I recently put a new 32GB Sandisk card in my D5000. I took about 40 pictures but only the first 31 came out. The others showed on the preview screen, but after the camera was turned off, they disappeared. The screen said "File does not contain image".

I copied the card to my PC, re-formatted the card, and took 33 pictures as tests, turned the camera off and on. Again, the first 31 came out, etc.

I put a new 4GB Sandisk card in and tested it the same way, and all pictures stay on the card.

Is this just a bad SD card? When I download the entire card to Nikon ViewNX, the pictures that didnt show say that the software cannot read the format.

Any help is appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, ( file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Bad Memory Card?
OnTERRYo Silver Member
19th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
19th Oct 2012
boldventure Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
20th Oct 2012
2pixels_short Gold Member
19th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
20th Oct 2012
JosephK Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
boldventure Silver Member
21st Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
21st Oct 2012

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Fri 19-Oct-12 11:13 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Hi Tim.

Welcome to Nikonaina.

Sorry you are having difficulty with the memory cards.
If memory serves (yeah, right) I seem to remember someone on this forum having similar problems. Their repair may have been formatting the card inside the camera; you may wish to give it a try.

Good luck.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 19-Oct-12 11:26 PM
6574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Hi Tim. Welcome to Nikonians.

Terry's right. All memory cards should be formatted in the camera in which they are to be used. Cards formatted in computers are unreliable at best, and they may not work at all. Even when using a memory card for the first time, it should be formatted in the camera before its first use in the camera.

Try formatting the card in your camera, then see what happens. Let us know how it works out. The Sandisk 32GB card isn't an approved card, but Toshiba and Panasonic 32GB SD cards are, so I would think a Sandisk 32GB SD should work.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

boldventure Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2012Sat 20-Oct-12 12:27 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 2

Rock Island, US

I formatted the card inside the D5000 when I got it. After the problem I re-formatted the card, again inside the camera. Same problem. Maybe I'll try one of the "approved" card brands. I just wanted the larger card for any video that I might record.

Thanks for the help.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 20-Oct-12 12:42 AM
6574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 5

Philadelphia, US

Before you purchase another card, call Sandisk Support and explain the problem. It certainly is a possibility that it's a bad card and needs replacement under warranty.

In the US, Sandisk support is open M-F, 11a.m - 10p.m Eastern Standard Time. Their phone number is: 1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).

Let us know what Sandisk says.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Fri 19-Oct-12 11:37 PM
847 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

In addition to what the others have suggested, you may want to check the Nikon Support site to be sure your camera firmware is up to date.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 20-Oct-12 12:16 AM
#4. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 3

Philadelphia, US

It turns out there hasn't been any general firmware (A/B) update for the D5000. The only firmware update of any kind for the D5000 is only a "Distortion control data" upgrade, 1.002, which I do recommend, however, it won't affect memory card usage or compatibility.

The D5000 "Distortion control data" upgrade can be downloaded at the following link:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17162

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 20-Oct-12 02:36 AM
4100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like bad "sectors" on the card, similar to what happens on a hard drive.

Using a card reader, reformat the card using your computer (full format, not quick-format). This may help map the bad sectors. Then put the card into the camera and quick-format it there. Then take some pics and see what happens.

Contacting Sandisk about a replacement card is not a bad idea regardless.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

boldventure Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2012Sun 21-Oct-12 10:54 PM
#8. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rock Island, US

I read up on similar situations on the SanDisk website and I saw a lot of fake card cases. I downloaded H2testw from the internet and I am testing the card now. I figured I only had about 90Mb of pics on the card before it stopped saving. The test shows only 95Mb of good space out of 32Gb.
I bought this card on ebay, but it was not in the original pkg. It showed high feedback and that it came from the U.S. I just looked at the user id and he is located in Israel. I think I've been duped.
It is either fake or defective. I am going to try to contact the seller for a refund.
Thanks for the insight. My other card purchases will be made with more consideration.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 21-Oct-12 11:25 PM
#9. "RE: Bad Memory Card?"
In response to Reply # 8

Philadelphia, US

Good luck on getting the refund. If the seller doesn't come through, contact eBay about him selling counterfeit merchandise. They do sometimes come through on such complaints.

I never purchase anything on the Internet without looking it up on ResellerRatings.com and see a highly favorable rating. I know many have had excellent experiences with eBay, but I don't buy anything from them which is critical to my photography work. Too many people get burned buying on eBay too often for me to have any confidence in them.

Personally, I purchase my photography equipment only from reputable dealers which are highly rated, and well-known by Nikonians' members to have dealt with them fairly and honestly.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9313 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.