nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9309
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hello from Tennessee" Previous topic | Next topic
Hexad Tom Registered since 19th Oct 2012Fri 19-Oct-12 09:00 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hello from Tennessee"

US

Hi all,
I am a new member and not really a photographer. I joined to get some advice about buying a camera for my daughter. She has 3 cameras, including a superzoom and takes lots of pictures. She joined a camera club, but her cameras don't have the functionality needed to get the most out of the club discussions. She wants a DSLR with lots of manual control and I have decided to get her a D7000 for Christmas (I don't want her to grow out of an entry level model and want a better one). I don't know whether to go new or used.

If I decide to buy a new one, I can get it now with a $200 discount from Nikon, or I could wait and hope for better deal during the pre-Christmas sales. What do you think the chances are of Nikon or distributors having another special deal before the end of the year?

If I go used, I have to worry about whether it is an import that she would have trouble getting service on. Any advice about how to ensure that a used camera is a US model? Anything else I would need to consider when buying used?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hello from Tennessee
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
19th Oct 2012
Hexad Tom
20th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
20th Oct 2012
Hexad Tom
20th Oct 2012
20th Oct 2012
Hexad Tom
20th Oct 2012
20th Oct 2012
Hexad Tom
20th Oct 2012
21st Oct 2012
mfphoto1
21st Oct 2012
22nd Oct 2012
Hexad Tom
26th Oct 2012
26th Oct 2012
Hexad Tom
22nd Oct 2012

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 19-Oct-12 11:11 PM
6862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Tom, the D7000 will fit your bill.

As far as a pre-Christmas sale, I've personally given up on trying to figure out about Nikon sales, rebates, etc. My crystal ball is just not that good.

I can help you concerning your used questions. First, if the camera only has a Nikon warranty, the normal Nikon warranty is only 1 year, and more germane for you, Nikon warranties are not transferable.

This is a quote from the Nikon digital camera warranty, "This warranty extends to the original consumer purchaser only and is not assignable or transferable."

Therefore, I wouldn't worry about any used camera with regard to warranty. What you need to do is make sure you purchase it from a reputable place. The camera should be in great working order without a ton of use, so it still has life in it. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase used cameras from KEH (keh.com), B&H (bhphotovideo.com), or Adorama (adorama.com).

Good luck and welcome to Nikonians.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Hexad Tom Registered since 19th Oct 2012Sat 20-Oct-12 12:07 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks, Ned.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 20-Oct-12 12:12 AM
6862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 2

Philadelphia, US

It's my pleasure. Once your daughter has her camera, have her join Nikonians. There's a wealth of information here and plenty of people ready to answer the questions of a new young photographer just spreading her wings.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Hexad Tom Registered since 19th Oct 2012Sat 20-Oct-12 01:20 AM
#4. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I see that B&H has a refurbished kit (with 18-105 lens) including a 3yr Sagemax warranty. Since refurbished cameras are normally only covered for 90 days by B&H, would this 3rd party warranty be a good idea?

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 20-Oct-12 01:26 AM
#5. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 4

Philadelphia, US

Sagemax warranties are excellent and B&H makes sure they stand behind them. B&H is my main supplier of photographic equipment. I hold them in the highest regard. If you post a link to the kit, I will take a look at it and the specific warranty with regard to coverage.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Hexad Tom Registered since 19th Oct 2012Sat 20-Oct-12 02:53 AM
#6. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Here's the URL; I'm not sure how to post a link.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822226-REF/Nikon_Refurbished_D7000_DSLR_Camera.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 20-Oct-12 04:23 AM
#7. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 6

Philadelphia, US

The warranty looks good to me.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Hexad Tom Registered since 19th Oct 2012Sat 20-Oct-12 01:38 PM
#8. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 20-Oct-12 01:51 PM by Hexad Tom

US

Thanks again, you've been a great help.

One more question; will the prices of refurbished cameras go up when the $200 discount goes away or will they stay basically where they are?

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 21-Oct-12 04:52 AM
#9. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 8

Philadelphia, US

You're welcome. It's possible. It's all supply and demand.

Good luck.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 21-Oct-12 06:28 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

Just a heads up. B & H has this same kit new for 8 bucks more, and free shipping until OCT 27th.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735300-REG/Nikon_25474_D7000_DSLR_Camera_Kit.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 22-Oct-12 12:30 AM
#11. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 10

Philadelphia, US

A big thumbs up for your find Monica. Nice job! Thanks for checking for it.

That's a much better deal than the used one, in my opinion.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Hexad Tom Registered since 19th Oct 2012Fri 26-Oct-12 11:31 PM
#13. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi again,
I looked at the new kit, which was a good deal, but I decided to go with the refurbished kit because it has a 3 yr warranty (vs. 1 yr on a new one), and also comes with a case and a 16gb Transcend memory card.

I also got her Darrell Young's book 'Mastering the Nikon D7000', a SanDisk 32gb class 10, 45mb/s memory card, extra batteries, and the Blue Crane inBrief laminated reference card; everything she needs to learn how to use the camera and take all the pictures she wants.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 26-Oct-12 11:55 PM
#14. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 13

Philadelphia, US

I wish her the best of luck with the new equipment. I look forward to her questions here, over time.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Hexad Tom Registered since 19th Oct 2012Mon 22-Oct-12 05:02 PM
#12. "RE: Hello from Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thank you very much, that looks like a good deal!

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9309 Previous topic | Next topic