Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9240
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus" Previous topic | Next topic
Konman Registered since 03rd Oct 2012Thu 04-Oct-12 10:40 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
Thu 04-Oct-12 10:43 PM by Konman

CA

Hey everyone!

Okay, first topic.

Please don't throw any stones just yet, but...I'm having some difficulty getting my D7000 to make that little zzzzztt! noise like I know it should, where it automatically zeros in on the subject? 39 automatic focus points, right?

Anyway, as a result, all of my first shots I've had to focus manually. I started when I was in high school with a Canon AE-1, so I know how to do that pretty well.

I have the 18 - 105mm lens that came new with the camera, and I know it has its own limitations, so I'll mention that I'm not trying to do capture the wings of an insect in full macro or anything...I'm just experimenting with various subjects at various distances.

I've been consulting the manual and playing with and understanding a lot of other features, but despite following the directions and consulting YouTube videos and stuff...it's still a no-go.

I was hoping one of you experts could set me straight with a quick line or two, 'causing me to smack myself in the head and go, "Ohhhhh, of course!" or something. I was hoping.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus
Patrick604
05th Oct 2012
Konman
05th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
05th Oct 2012
Patrick604
05th Oct 2012
Konman
05th Oct 2012
Patrick604
05th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Oct 2012
Konman
09th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
09th Oct 2012

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Fri 05-Oct-12 12:01 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Howdy, konman.

Please don't take offense, but do you have auto focus turned on, or are you in manual focus mode? There is a little switch on the front of the camera, to the right and near the bottom if you are looking at the camera from the front. It is labeled AF/M. It needs to be set to AF for the camera to autofocus. Beyond that, there are different AF modes that can be changed by pushing the button in the center of the AF switch and spinning the command dials with either your right thumb or forefinger.

Link to my Nikonians Gallery

Konman Registered since 03rd Oct 2012Fri 05-Oct-12 12:05 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 05-Oct-12 12:06 AM by Konman

CA

No offense taken.

Yes, it's set to "AF" on the front of the camera.

On the lens itself there are two switches: "A - F" (It's on "A" at the moment, but I've tried experimenting back and forth, always with the camera body's AF on), and "VR", "On" or "Off." It's on "On" at the moment.

A YouTube clip said that this is a common problem amongst people who first get this camera, and that it has to be "fixed" in the digital menu settings somewhere, but...I've yet to have any success. *Shrug*

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 05-Oct-12 12:50 AM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi James,

What exposure mode are you using?
In Auto mode and the Vari-Program modes, the AF system is optimized based on the mode you select.

There are three AF modes available on the D7000:

AF-S Single Servo AF - use when shooting static subjects.
AF-C Continuous AF - use when tracking moving subjects.
AF-A Auto servo AF - The camera picks the AF mode based on what it thinks your subject is automatically.

There are also 4 AF Area modes available:

Single Point AF - you choose the subject that you focus on.
Dynamic Area AF - used when tracking moving subjects.
9 AF points or 21 points best for tracking most subjects
39 AF points - use when tracking fast moving subjects that you can't keep within the 9 or 21 AF points.
3D-tracking use when tracing erratically moving subjects.
Auto Area AF - the camera chooses the subject.

As a general rule it is always best to use the minimum number of AF points for any given situation. The more active AF points the more that can go wrong.

Add to that the adjustments that can be made to the AF system in the Custom Settings Menu (a1 - a8) and you can see that mastering the AF system will take some practice.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Fri 05-Oct-12 01:19 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Ok, try this. There are settings in the menu that could be off. From menu, go to the pencil icon along the left of the display, then select autofocus from the options. That will open up another layer. Go to af-c priority selection and af-s priority selection. If they are set to release priority, your shutter will fire when you completely depress the shutter button, whether it is focussed or not. In focus priority, the camera will not trip the shutter unless the camera is focused. Now the trick, press the shutter release half-way to activate the focus, and the rest of the way to take the pic. This is similar to taking a meter reading on your old AE-1.

Konman Registered since 03rd Oct 2012Fri 05-Oct-12 01:37 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Thanks for the replies Marty, Patrick.

You're right Marty, there are so many settings here.

Patrick, I've got both the AF settings from the menu you mentioned on "release." There's a little picture of the button on each. Is that right?

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Fri 05-Oct-12 09:37 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Change them to focus priority. Then press the shutter release half-way down and the lens should focus, press it all the way and it will take the picture. Let us know if this works for you.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 06-Oct-12 01:39 AM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi James,

If you have Release priority selected in custom setting a1 and a2, the shutter will release as soon as you press the shutter release button all the way even if the scene is not in focus.
If you set it to Focus priority, the shutter will not release until focus is locked.

Best Regards,
Marty

Konman Registered since 03rd Oct 2012Tue 09-Oct-12 02:11 AM
#8. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 09-Oct-12 02:11 AM by Konman

CA

Hey guys, bit of an update for you:

Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada, and at our family get-together I was one of three Nikon users.

My uncle, who's also a member here, insisted that nothing was wrong with the settings, but that the lens was probably mounted just a fraction of a millimeter from where it should have been when I was using it, 'cause when he attached the lens it worked fine.

*Smacks forehead*

Well...glad that's over with. I got some great shots this weekend. So easy now! Zzzzzt! Chuh-Click!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 09-Oct-12 02:40 AM
#9. "RE: D7000 Auto-Focus won't...Auto-Focus"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi James,

Thanks for the follow up.
Glad to hear the problem is solved.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9240 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.