nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL New to Photography (Public) topic #9117
View in linear mode

Subject: "Having problems with night pics :-(" Previous topic | Next topic
NMrunner   US  Registered since 10th Sep 2012 Mon 10-Sep-12 03:25 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Having problems with night pics :-("
Mon 10-Sep-12 03:41 AM by NMrunner

I am new to Nikon and recently purchased the Nikon D7000. I am also new to photography and taking a class. I emailed the instructor but thought I'd ask here. My camera will NOT take any night pictures. Even in the dreaded green Auto mode. Nope. Tried the manual mode, nothing. What am I doing wrong? Yes, the lens cap is off LoL. I feel like an idiot and I'm so frustrated I have a tripod too.

ETA: I'm trying to shoot a night scene. My instructor said to shoot in Auto, then Manual. Nope.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Having problems with night pics :-( blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
10th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Having problems with night pics :-( NMrunner
10th Sep 2012
     Reply message RE: Having problems with night pics :-( blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
10th Sep 2012
10th Sep 2012
10th Sep 2012
10th Sep 2012
                    Reply message RE: Having problems with night pics :-( JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
10th Sep 2012
10th Sep 2012
                    Reply message RE: Having problems with night pics :-( aolander Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
11th Sep 2012
                              Reply message RE: Having problems with night pics :-( Dirty6
17th Sep 2012
               Reply message RE: Having problems with night pics :-( MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
10th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Having problems with night pics :-( jmcbride
23rd Oct 2012
24th Oct 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 10-Sep-12 04:20 AM
27059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 0

Presumably the problem is that the shutter won't release? That's almost certainly due to the way the camera is configured: it won't release the shutter unless the "subject" (ie whatever is under the focus target) is determined to be in focus. But if it's night and really dark, it can't tell! So probably it isn't allowing you to take the picture.

First-order solution: switch to manual focus. Then you will discover that you can take the picture, but focus is bad or even terrible. Then you'll need to figure out how to get some light on the subject so that focus can be achieved - either manually or automatically. Some ways to do that including a flashlight, having the lights on for focusing but turn them off before the shot, using the AF assist illuminator on either the camera or a flash unit, or manually focusing by "zone" (ie by guessing the distance and setting manually).

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

NMrunner   US  Registered since 10th Sep 2012 Mon 10-Sep-12 04:32 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you for your help.

I stood in the pitch black bathroom and it took the picture. Went outside, won't work? I also tried manual, nothing. I know it's user error, just can't figure it out. Across my street there's a large pond with neighborhood lights but it's pretty dark. I even used a tripod...nope. Won't take the picture. I'm clearly stomped.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 10-Sep-12 04:45 AM
27059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 2

Manual FOCUS? Hard to believe. Set the AF-S/AF-C/M switch to M. This is different than the P/A/S/M dial.

OK, if that didn't work, there's an option somewhere in the menus - I don't know where - that gives the option of Focus Priority or Release Priority.

_____

NMrunner   US  Registered since 10th Sep 2012 Mon 10-Sep-12 05:01 AM
#4. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 3

I was using the dial. I don't know how to switch otherwise. :shamebag:

Focus/release priority sound familiar. I can look that up.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 10-Sep-12 05:10 AM
#5. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 4

The dial controls EXPOSURE mode, not focus. The AF switch is on the side of the lens mount, on the right if you're looking at the front of the lens, pointing to your right. It's marked "AF / M" on your camera. (On many others - such as five of mine - it's a 3-position switch, AF-S/AF-C/M.)

_____

NMrunner   US  Registered since 10th Sep 2012 Mon 10-Sep-12 05:34 AM
#6. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 5

Thank you...I see that and will try tomorrow. I didn't know that had to be on M to set it manually? It was on AF. But how do I take it in 'auto' at night as my instructor asked? I set it in that mode and it won't take a picture.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Mon 10-Sep-12 03:35 PM
5435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 6

Autofocus requires a certain amount of light to work. If it is too dark you either need to add some light to help the focus system or switch to manual.

You can also check on the A1 and A2 "custom" focus settings. AF-C probably defaults to "release" so that the camera will take out-of-focus pictures in AF-C mode. AF-S can also be put into that mode, but just switching to AF-C might be easier.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

NMrunner   US  Registered since 10th Sep 2012 Mon 10-Sep-12 07:08 PM
#9. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 8

Thank you for the help, it really helps a newbie. I'll try again and report back.

aolander Silver Member  Nevis, US  Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006 Mon 10-Sep-12 07:56 PM
3452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 6

Your instructor probably means to take the night photo in "auto" exposure mode, not "auto" focus mode.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NMrunner   US  Registered since 10th Sep 2012 Tue 11-Sep-12 02:53 AM
#11. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 10

Can you tell I'm new at this? :-P

Dirty6   US  Registered since 27th Aug 2012 Mon 17-Sep-12 12:26 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 11

The fun in photography is learning, you seem to be on the right track. Ask questions and read as much as you can. Remember enjoy and have fun. It will get easier.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Mon 10-Sep-12 05:37 AM
27593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 4

Hi Diane,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The AF mode switch Brian is refurring to is #10 in the diagram on page 3 of the Nikon D7000 Users Manual .
Set the swich to M.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jmcbride   Newmarket, CA  Registered since 23rd Sep 2009 Tue 23-Oct-12 11:41 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Diane,

Just saw your posts today for the first time. I know these things can be frustrating.
Have you been able to resolve the problem yet?

Jim - Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

NMrunner   US  Registered since 10th Sep 2012 Wed 24-Oct-12 01:17 AM
#14. "RE: Having problems with night pics :-("
In response to Reply # 13

Yes, I finally resolved the issue and took an awesome shot. Thanks a lot. Been meaning to report back but forgot.

Forums Lobby GENERAL New to Photography (Public) topic #9117 Previous topic | Next topic