Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9066
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question" Previous topic | Next topic
PRSS Registered since 10th Apr 2012Fri 31-Aug-12 01:10 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question"

IN

Hello Everybody

I recently photographed my Interior Design Project with my Nikon D5100 - 18-55 lens - with the battery fully charged. For all the shots I was using the built-in flash to trigger my external flashes through slave units. I was shooting in RAW + JPEG Fine. And I was also using LIVE VIEW for all the time. Exposure time was between 2seconds to 1 second using tripod - VR was off. For some hand held shots VR was on. And all the photos were taken using AutoFocus mode.

By the time I reached 140 frames, my battery level was showing RED and was almost dead. Since my photography was over, I did not shoot further to see for how many more shots the battery lasted. But the indicator was showing almost dead.

My question is whether this is normal. In my earlier photography session where I had taken photographs of exterior shots of buildings (again RAW+Fine - but no VR and no Live View - no flash - and all the shutter speeds were faster than 1/60sec) I have taken more than 300 shots and the battery level showed only 50% drain. Please clarify.

Thanking you in advance
PRSS

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question
MEMcD Moderator
31st Aug 2012
dlhotka
31st Aug 2012
blw Moderator
31st Aug 2012
dlhotka
31st Aug 2012
blw Moderator
31st Aug 2012
PRSS
31st Aug 2012
Digital_Reality
24th Oct 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 31-Aug-12 01:39 AM
25570 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi PRSS,

Both the built in Speedlight and Live View require significantly more power than AF and image capture. When you use both features together the combined battery drain is extreme.
To answer your question; there is nothing wrong with your camera or battery.
There is nothing to worry about.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dlhotka Registered since 23rd Jul 2012Fri 31-Aug-12 03:06 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

As Marty said, there is nothing wrong with the battery, you were just using all the most battery draining features at once.

What I have noticed is that the battery performs noticeably better if you follow the usual battery charging procedure: full charge (leaving it charging for an hour past when it stops flashing), then complete discharge (use it up until it wont let you take anymore shots, making a video works great for this), and repeat every time you use the battery.

---------------

Visit my Nikonians Gallery!
Critique welcome!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 31-Aug-12 12:30 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Are you sure about this? The lithium ion batteries have an entirely different chemical profile than the "usual" ones, meaning traditional NiCad. LION batteries don't have memory, which is mostly what you are describing.

> leaving it charging for an hour past when it stops flashing

I disagree. The chargers are quite finely tuned and they are quite accurate. When it stops flashing, it has disabled the charging circuits. You can tell this even without a voltmeter, because the battery is significantly warmer during active charge (blinking) than an hour later.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dlhotka Registered since 23rd Jul 2012Fri 31-Aug-12 12:44 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question"
In response to Reply # 4

Vancouver, CA

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you, but I was the one who didn't drain it or necessarily charge to full.

Since changing my charge/discharge cycles I've noticed they last longer. Mind you this isn't scientific in any way shape or form. Maybe my perception is altered.

Another thing I noticed is that the battery indicator on the camera spends most of its time at 3 or 1 bars. for some reason it doesn't stay long at 2. Although it does spend a long time at minimum before it cuts you off.

---------------

Visit my Nikonians Gallery!
Critique welcome!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 31-Aug-12 12:26 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The biggest single drain on the battery is the LCD. The second biggest drain is holding the shutter open. When you use LiveView, the shutter is held open the entire time that the LiveView is active, and so is the LCD. I am surprised you made it to 140 frames, actually, especially with exposure times at 1-2 sec.

Note that video has the same general power profile as LiveView, for similar reasons.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

PRSS Registered since 10th Apr 2012Fri 31-Aug-12 12:50 PM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 31-Aug-12 12:53 PM by PRSS

IN

Many many thanks to everybody. I thought something was wrong with my camera or battery. Glad to know the reasons also.

Through the advice of this forum, I am able to see improvements in digital photography with every new session. Hope to help other new members by answering questions in the near future. (So far I have been only asking questions!)

Thanks again
PRSS

Digital_Reality Registered since 19th Oct 2012Wed 24-Oct-12 07:41 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D5100 - battery charge drain question"
In response to Reply # 6

Bangalore, IN

Might be late in context to answering your question but you already have an answer from expert.

Yes, same situation happen with me too when I was using live view all the time and suddenly after 100 clicks battery dead!

Though I do not use live view often these days but keep a backup battery with me. It provides freedom to express yourself without keeping eye on #of clicks.

Happy shooting!

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #9066 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.