Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #6330
View in linear mode

Subject: "Xmas comes early this year. " Previous topic | Next topic
joh1 Registered since 04th Nov 2011Fri 04-Nov-11 10:42 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Xmas comes early this year. "

AI

The government of my little island is rewarding me with any camera and lens that I wish to have. I now shoot with a d200 that has seen its life span. If you were me and it was not your money being spent and it was a once in a life time deal, what gear would you pick and why? By the way, I will have to shoot sporting events in very bad light, landscapes which will be mostly beach shots, concerts, and on my own time I would like to shoot a few portraits. So as you can see, I will need just about every thing from the body to a stand and lets not forget the lights and lens.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Xmas comes early this year.
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
04th Nov 2011
joh1
04th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
05th Nov 2011
joh1
06th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
06th Nov 2011
joh1
18th Nov 2011

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 04-Nov-11 10:49 AM
26839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Xmas comes early this year. "
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If it's really one lens, I think you're going to have to add some stuff on your own. The quintessential low-light sports camera today is the D3s, because of world-class high ISO performance combined with 9 fps frame rates and amazing AF performance even into the dim light. And for very poor light at sporting events the classic lens is the 70-200/f2.8 AFS VRII, assuming that you mean outdoors. It's also one of the lenses traditionally associated with concerts, although perhaps your conditions may be better than many for those. But that leaves you without a way to do wide angle or even normal perspective things. For minimum amount of additional stuff I'd add to the above the 24-120/f4 VR, and it should cover at least almost all of your other needs. You might also need something like a 50/f1.8 or 85/f1.8 if the sports is at close range, and the latter would certainly not hurt for portraits.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

joh1 Registered since 04th Nov 2011Fri 04-Nov-11 11:06 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Xmas comes early this year. "
In response to Reply # 1

AI

Thank you. It is a care package that they are setting me up with, all the stuff that I would ever need and all the lens I can carry. The bad thing is, it is a one time deal. I would just have to tell them what it is that I want. I am sure when I take them the list, they will tell me that I can not have all the stuff that I wish, but if I do not tell them I will never ever get it. I will use what you post as the base of the list, but this is going to be a buy once type of a deal. I will have to work free for them for a whole year in trade for the gear, so I do not see this as getting free stuff, so I want value in gear. Just list off what you would ask for if you where in my shoes.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 05-Nov-11 03:23 PM
26797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Xmas comes early this year. "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Josveek,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Camera body: D3s as it has the best high ISO performance available,
Nikkor Lenses:
Basic kit: 14-24mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR II These three zooms ore optically superb and cover all of the most commonly used focal lengths.
Bonus kit:
85mm f/1.4G IF AD-S excellent portrait lens.
300mm f/2.8G ED AF-S VR II Or maybe the 400mm f/2.8G ED AF-S VR if you need the additional reach for shooting sports.
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM is excellent if you need something faster than the zooms.

Speedlight(s):
Nikon SB-900 More Power and Vesatility = better range and more options.
SU-800 Commander for controlling any number of remote SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, or SB-900 Speedlights.
If you will be shooting flash fast and hard at events, the Quantum Q flash and Turbo 3 battery will allow you shoot fast and hard all day without overheating.
Tripod: Gitzo 3 series with a Markins Q20 ball head. Excellent support, reaonable weight.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

joh1 Registered since 04th Nov 2011Sun 06-Nov-11 11:09 AM
#4. "RE: Xmas comes early this year. "
In response to Reply # 3

AI

They asked if I would take the D700 rather then the D3. If I do say yes to the D700 what would you ask for in terms of glass and what benefits will I miss by not sticking to the D3?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 06-Nov-11 07:54 PM
26797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Xmas comes early this year. "
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Josveek,

The same Glass I listed above works just as well on the D700 as it does on the D3s and D3.

The D3 and the D700 have the same sensor. The D3 has duel AF processors, 100% viewfinder coverage, 9 FPS FX/ 11 FPS DX, and a shutter tested to 300,000 cycles. The D700 has a single AF processor, 95% viewfinder, 5 FPS / 8 FPS w/MB-D10 w/ AA or EN-EL4(a) battery.
The D3s has video capability, the D3 and D700 do not.

The D3s has about a 1.5 stop advantage in high ISO performance over the D700 and D3.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

joh1 Registered since 04th Nov 2011Fri 18-Nov-11 10:26 AM
#6. "RE: Xmas comes early this year. "
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 18-Nov-11 01:00 PM by joh1

AI

I want to say thank you to all for posting.
I was told that the D3s as a main and the d700 as secondary was a go. They refuse to consider the commander, battery pack,and tri pod. My last step is to find the best place with the best price to get the gear from, any ideas? I was also asked if the D7000 would be better then the d700. here is the BH wish list http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=wishListDetail.jsp&A=wishlistDetail&Q=&li=4413537F40

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #6330 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.