Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #5646
View in linear mode

Subject: "New guy here with a what would you buy question" Previous topic | Next topic
borism68 Registered since 04th Jul 2011Tue 05-Jul-11 01:11 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New guy here with a what would you buy question"

US

Hi there Nikonians
My name is Boris, I am new here, I am actually a Canon shooter I posted this on the New Member section but did not get much response or traffic.
So here it is
Ive decided to sell my Canon gear, reduce my Gear list to a more compact, friendly, lighter and practical combo.
During this I asked myself why not switch to Nikon and start from the scratch?
So here is my question:
If you decide to choose a D7000 body and have a budget of 4500$ (including the body), what would you buy?
I have very little to none Nikon experience and not extremely familiar with the line.

A bit of a background: I have been shooting digital for around 5 years, I consider myself an advanced amateur, Ive learned a lot and realize that I have to learn a ton more.

My Canon gear included Canon 5dc, Canon 30D, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Tokina 100 2.8 macro, EFS kit lens duo (18-55 and 55-250) , Flash 580EXII and 430EXII, some yongnuo flashes and stands, soft boxes umbrellas that I will keep etc.
I shoot a bit of everything, Travel, Portraits, some events like first communions and some Softball and soccer.
My wife looked at me with a "you are crazy" look yesterday
I know the grass is not greener at the other side of the road, but I think it might be fun and great learning experience for me.
Can you guys help? Advice is needed.
Thank you in advance
Boris

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question
fivehitsweak
05th Jul 2011
borism68
06th Jul 2011
fivehitsweak
06th Jul 2011
Ned_L Moderator
06th Jul 2011
borism68
06th Jul 2011
Ned_L Moderator
06th Jul 2011
blw Moderator
06th Jul 2011
borism68
07th Jul 2011
Ned_L Moderator
07th Jul 2011
Sea Witch
15th Jul 2011

fivehitsweak Registered since 21st Jun 2011Tue 05-Jul-11 09:53 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Hi Boris,

I am also a new member of the Nikonians community and I have just gone through exactally the situation that you have described! I Sold my Canon Eos 20D which I have had for 6 years and got my self a Nikon D7000.

I have spent hours since purchacing my D7000 trying to prioratize what accessories I should purchace to allow me to progress with my photography in the most practical fashion. I am an ameture photographer, so I would perhaps say that I am not quite advanced as yourself and as such I am spending some of my budget on a photography course and some reading materials. Other than that though I have the following shopping list.

Nikkor 35mm F/1.8 dx lens. Affordable fast prime with good reviews that will give me 50mm ish FOV mounted on my D7000

A decent Tripod/ball head. No specific one singled out yet but I Think that this is pretty much essential for travel photography and low light shooting.

Remote Shutter release. TO compliment the Tripod!

Cokin/lee type graduated ND filters. Down here in Australia the sun is INTENSE and cloudy days are few and far betweem. This leads to massive contrast issues for me and I am very keen to get some decent ND filters to help me reduce the dynamic range of my landscapes/trave images!

Spare Battery. Just incase!!!!

I realise that these items may not cater exactally to your needs, but I hope you can at least see the kind of thought process I went through as I was trying to decide which items I should purchace to get me to a position where I feel like I can learn and progress whilst being able to achieve some of my photography goals with my new D7000!

Cheers, Happy shopping!

Ben

An English man in rural Australia.

borism68 Registered since 04th Jul 2011Wed 06-Jul-11 02:36 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Ben
thank you for your response
I think you have a nice round list to cater your new D7000
The Filters, tripod etc that you have are a must
Very smart on investing on education BTW

I will keep off course my general gear (lights, stands etc)
I have been using any extra minute to learn about Nikon line and have more insight of its strong and not so strong lens

I have set my mind on the 35mm 1.8 and the 70-300 VR and probably a 50mm 1.4 iteration of nikon or sigma
Probably include a flash like SB700 (the 900 is crazy expensive)

But I am still looking for a normal zoom lens
I am looking into the kit 18-105VR, then some say about the 16-85VR, even some talk about the 18-200VR like the answer to all prayers (not to me)

I am interested into the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS but fear for front/back focusing problems, havent heard from many nikon users their experience with the third party lens like these.

Id like to thank you Ben for writing on my thread, I am new on this forum and feels really "slow" responding, I am used to POTN (Canon forum) and Fred miranda , where a respond (good or bad) is quicker to get to you.
So thank you for stopping by and good luck with your D7000

fivehitsweak Registered since 21st Jun 2011Wed 06-Jul-11 03:30 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

No Worries Boris!

I have the 18-105mm kit lens, and I think that for the money it is pretty good. I am no expert but to my (admitidly inexperianced) eye it is sharp and pretty quiet. Build Quality is better than Canon Kit lenses, it feels solid. Focus ring is a little "loose", not that it shakes around, but it is very easy to turn, no resistance. I go get noticable vignetting aththe 105mm end of the focal range but nothing you wouldn't expect from a budget lens!

I have been reading up on the SB-700 because I am interested in getting a flash unit eventually too. It gets great write ups, with many reviews concluding that despite an overall loss of power compared to the SB-900, it acually represents a more rounded and compact package. Some reviewers were even going as far as saying they were going to get SB-700's to replace their SB-900's. I have never used one personally however, so this is all hearsay, but press impressions seem favoirable!

I wouldn't worry about people not replying on here. Maybe it just goes to show that the Nikonians are all out taking Photos instead of sitting infront of their computrers like the folk at your old canon forum . My short experience of this community is that replys come quickly enough and are 99.9% of the time chock full of great info!

Good luck with your shopping!!!

Cheers,

Ben

An English man in rural Australia.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 06-Jul-11 12:43 PM
6595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Hi Boris. Welcome to Nikonians.

Since you mentioned a D7000 body (DX (APS-C) size sensor) as the body you're looking at, I'm going to essentially ignore your Canon equipment list. You're not going to be able to duplicate it with the budget mentioned, which includes the body (you'll need some extras with the body) anyway, so let's start fresh.

I am going to take into account your statement, "I shoot a bit of everything, travel, portraits, some events like first communions and some softball and soccer."

So here's what might be a good starting point for you, and at least a starting point for discussion:

• Nikon D7000 DSLR Camera (Body Only) ($1,200)
  • Nikon - EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery (1900mAh) (spare) ($50)
  • Nikon - 2-Year Extended Service Coverage (ESC) for the Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera ($130)
  • 2 - SanDisk - 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Cards (2 x $140)
  • Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash ($330)
  • AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II ($850)
  • AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED ($900)
  • AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED ($590)

You said you were looking to move to "reduce my gear list to a more compact, friendly, lighter and practical combo." I think this list ($4330) is pretty compact, light, friendly, and practical. The combined focal lengths gets you from 10mm (FX equivalent of 15mm) to 300mm (FX equivalent of 450mm) which gives you the range needed for urban travel and landscapes, through portraits (single and group) through sports when you can't get particularly close. Most of the focal length range is with VR (IS) which will help with low light, which is good since these lenses are not the fastest in the world, but they are light weight and compact which is part of the trade off to get those characteristics within a reasonable budget.

The list includes practical items such as the spare battery and extended warranty, plus 2 high quality memory cards which will give you enough room for lots of photos, plus video, and they're fast enough to keep up.

While 3 lenses might not seem compact in of itself, there are times when you can leave the 10-24mm or the 70-300mm at home, according to what you're photographing. The 18-200mm is a very good walking around lens that I've been happy with when using a DX sensor based camera.

Good luck with your quest for this changeover.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

borism68 Registered since 04th Jul 2011Wed 06-Jul-11 05:33 PM
#5. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank you Ted
Your list looks good. My only caveat is the 18-200.
I used to own a canon 18-200is and did not fall in love with it. Was not bad at all but just didn't feel it.
I was thinking this with the D7000
Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS
Nikon 70-300 vr
Nikon 35mm 1.8
Sb700 flash
This is thi kit that goes around my head at this time
What do you think?

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 06-Jul-11 09:53 PM
6595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 5

Philadelphia, US

My gut says to me several things.

You don't have a wide angle (It wouldn't work for me and the landscapes I like to take and definitely would cause me problems with urban travel photography.) at 17mm (26mm equivalent) which is wide enough for many purposes. Having a lens stable on a DX sensor camera which ends at 17mm certainly would be a major problem for me.

You're okay from 70mm up.

You've got a fast lens from 17-50mm from Sigma, but one that I'm not overly enamored with, although I know it's half the price of the equivalent Nikon. The lens has a couple of problems for me. At f/2.8 the focus in the center is great, but it quickly gets quite soft toward the edges. That doesn't go away completely until you approach f/6.3, though at f/4 edge to edge focus is satisfactory for most people, and on a DX based camera is fine at f/4. It uses a rotating focus ring in AF mode and, as a result it doesn't allow for full-time manual focusing in that mode.

The 35mm f/1.8 is redundant to me, as while it's faster than the 17-50mm Sigma, the Sigma has OS, and can handle slower shutter speeds than the 35mm prime, at each f/stop.

You've got a major focal length gap from 50-70mm, which for some people is critical. It would be for me.

I can't compare the Canon 18-200mm IS to the Nikon 18-200mm VRII as I never tried or tested the Canon lens. I have much practical experience with the Nikon version and have been happy with it. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it as good as my combo of the Nikkor 24-70mm plus Nikkor 70-200mm? Nope. They are professional lenses and the 18-200mm is a good consumer lens. What was wrong with the Canon 18-200mm?

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 06-Jul-11 10:10 PM
26579 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

> My only caveat is the 18-200

Lots of people claim that the 18-200 is a mediocre or even poor lens, but I'm not so sure. I can (and do) take lots of really lousy shots with far "better" lenses. Here are some shots from the 18-200VR:

Two of these have made good 12x18 prints - even from a 4mp original capture.

I'm not saying that the 17-50/f2.8 OS is not better - it's clearly an improvement in low light, and possibly better in absolute IQ too. But the 18-200 isn't anywhere near as bad as some of its internet reputation.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

borism68 Registered since 04th Jul 2011Thu 07-Jul-11 07:36 PM
#8. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 7

US

These are really nice shots
I havent used the nikon 18-200
I had the 180299 Canon EFS IS version and it was not a bad lens
But it felt slow AF (did not have USM) , and heavy, Aperture was as any variable aperture lens well slow
IQ wise was not bad other than some distortion
It was dough a very practical lens

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 07-Jul-11 07:52 PM
#9. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 8

Philadelphia, US

Boris, the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II only weighs 19.8oz (560g) and is quite compact at on 3.8" (96.5mm) long. It has Nikons latest Vibration Reduction unit, VRII, and it has Nikon's internal "Silent Wave Motor" for very fast focusing. I'm not saying, "Get this lens," I'm only pointing out that the lens is very different than the Canon lens you described.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Sea Witch Registered since 13th Jul 2011Fri 15-Jul-11 03:53 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: New guy here with a what would you buy question"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

Hi Boris:

I'm new here too. I'm also new to Nikon dSLR's. But I'm not new to photography or Nikon film cameras. So I hope it's okay if I add my 2 cents.

For your lenses, I vote for starting with a

50mm f/1.8 D (cheap but good)
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor (cheap but good)
the 70-300mm that you mention and those are only about $750 all together. And then I'd stop and re-evaluate.

Then you can decide if you want a wide angle (wide angle isn't my thing). or a great portrait lens like the Nikon 135mm f/2 DC AF lens (about $1300) or in my case a dedicated macro lens or a longer zoom telephoto. Personally, I'm trying to avoid collecting a lot of DX lenses because if I move up to a full-frame camera, I don't want to have replace all my lenses.

I hope this helps. I also find it quiet here.....but I do like the forum.

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #5646 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.