Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #4726
View in linear mode

Subject: "how to zoom on nikon d3100" Previous topic | Next topic
lilredred Registered since 27th Feb 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 08:00 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"how to zoom on nikon d3100"

US

I just brought my first digtal nikon. I had a flim slr d60
this. question is two parts 1: how do I make it zoom on a
subject, and 2: what digtal slrs are compatible with my n60
lens

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100
Ned_L Moderator
27th Feb 2011
lilredred
27th Feb 2011
Ned_L Moderator
27th Feb 2011
lilredred
27th Feb 2011
2pixels_short Gold Member
27th Feb 2011
Ned_L Moderator
27th Feb 2011
lilredred
27th Feb 2011
Ned_L Moderator
27th Feb 2011
blw Moderator
28th Feb 2011
lilredred
28th Feb 2011
Ned_L Moderator
28th Feb 2011

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 27-Feb-11 08:20 PM
6390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to Nikonians.

You've left your profile completely blank, so from your post I'm just not sure what lens you have. I assume you have the standard kit lens, the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Nikkor Lens on your D3100.

You zoom the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Nikkor Lens by rotating the zoom ring on your lens.

What specific lens do you want to know about compatibility? Please tell us the exact description of the lens.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

lilredred Registered since 27th Feb 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 08:36 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

the lens has on it Nikon AF Nikkor 28-80 mm

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 27-Feb-11 09:12 PM
6390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 2

Philadelphia, US

Are you talking about the lens you have on your D3100 that you got with it that you needed to know how to zoom it, or are you talking about the lens you had on your Nikon N60?

In addition, are you talking about the Nikon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-D or the Nikon AF Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G. Either of these lenses will work with your D3100, but neither lens will auto-focus with your D3100. They don't contain their own focus motor which the D3100 needs to make an auto-focus lens auto-focus.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

lilredred Registered since 27th Feb 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 09:18 PM
#4. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Is there a Digtal SLR that will auto focus with my lens I had on the D60. or do all Digtal SLD cameras have a motor in them to forcus

2pixels_short Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Sun 27-Feb-11 09:30 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 4

Anchorage, US

I get the feeling you may be a bit confused with zoom and auto-focus.

All zoom lenses for film and digital SLR (single lens reflex) Nikons require the photographer to rotate the zoom ring to set the focal length as far as I know.

A D60 is a digital SLR camera. It does not have an internal focus drive. Auto-focus on a D60 requires you use an AF-S style lens. You may be confusing a D60 with another Nikon non-digital SLR.

A D3100 DSLR camera also does not have an internal focus mechanism / motor and requires AF-S lenses for auto-focus.

The D80, D90, D7000, D300 family, D700, D3 family however do have the internal focus motor or "screw-driver" mechanism. As well as many others I have not listed.

Mike in Alaska

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 27-Feb-11 09:43 PM
#6. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 4

Philadelphia, US

Rebecca, you still haven't said whether the lens you are speaking about is the Nikon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-D or the Nikon AF Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G.

Assuming you are talking about one of the above lenses they won't auto-focus on the following current Nikon DSLR cameras; D3000, D3100, or D5000. They will auto-focus on other current consumer level Nikon DSLR cameras including the D90, and the D7000. They will also auto-focus on Nikon's other current cameras in the prosumer and pro lines.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

lilredred Registered since 27th Feb 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 10:03 PM
#7. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Sorry about the mix up. The lens I am talking about is a Nikon AF NOKKOR 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6D If possible give me a list of digital slrs that will use my lens an auto fouse

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 27-Feb-11 11:26 PM
#8. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 7

Philadelphia, US

Of the current Nikon DSLRs, the D3000, D3100, or D5000 will not be able to auto-focus with the lens.

Of the current Nikon DSLRs, the D90, D7000, D300s, D700 and the D3 series will be able to auto-focus with the lens.

Please note two things about this lens. First, this was a very inexpensive lens when it was manufactured. It has considerable barrel distortion at the short end and while it's a fairly sharp lens, its contrast is so-so at the lower f/settings. Second, to use this lens and have it work properly on today's DSLRs, you must set its aperture ring to f/22, its smallest aperture.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 28-Feb-11 03:08 AM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

You'll be much better off replacing the lens than trying to fit the body around this old lens, which was never an impressive accomplishment in the first place.

If you have some other lenses, there certainly exist a goodly number worth working around, but this one isn't one of them.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

lilredred Registered since 27th Feb 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 10:21 AM
#10. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I now have all the answers I need.I want to thank all of you for being such a GREAT help. Thanks

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 28-Feb-11 10:25 AM
#11. "RE: how to zoom on nikon d3100"
In response to Reply # 10

Philadelphia, US

You're welcome. I look forward to your continued participation at Nikonians.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #4726 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.