Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #10490
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help to transfer pix into my computer" Previous topic | Next topic
Adela Registered since 29th Mar 2013Fri 29-Mar-13 05:53 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help to transfer pix into my computer"

US

Hello. Just bought a Nikon Coolpix S3300. Took some group pix and need to transfer them to my computer. I followed the Nikon CD ROM instructions, but...

1. On the page called: "Nikon Software Download Module" there is no "Next" button or any other button to continue...It also has too small a frame so words at the right margin are cut off. Then this appeared: “ArcSoft Panorama Maker 6” which suggested I install...I did and hope it's ok?

2. The instructions say to remove the Memory Card from the camera and insert it into the computer... would anyone know where the Memory Card Slots are in my Dell Desktop Inspiron 560? I don't see them on the outside (I'm not a savvy tech and may not recognize them?). I hope they aren't inside...

Would a kind soul tell me how I can achieve my transfer of pix to my computer please?

Thanks ever SO much for any help! Adela

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help to transfer pix into my computer
SheriB Silver Member
29th Mar 2013
RABaker
29th Mar 2013
Adela
29th Mar 2013
RABaker
30th Mar 2013
Adela
30th Mar 2013

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 29-Mar-13 10:04 AM
1759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help to transfer pix into my computer"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You may not have memory card slots? You may have to go pick up a card reader that plugs into a USB port.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Fri 29-Mar-13 02:38 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help to transfer pix into my computer"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 29-Mar-13 02:40 PM by RABaker

Sunnyvale, US

Adela,

Your Dell Inspiron 560 may not have built-in memory card slots - it was an extra-cost option that you could add when you ordered the computer. If you did not add the built-in card reader (or you bought a pre-specified machine "off the shelf" without it) then your computer won't have the card reader.

There are at least two ways to get images from your camera to your computer:
1. Use an external card reader that plugs into one of your computer's USB ports; or
2. Connect your camera directly to your computer with the USB cable that came with your camera. I believe the camera's USB slot is under a small cover on the bottom of the camera. See page 75 of the camera manual (probably came as a .PDF file on a CD with the camera).

I believe Nikon expects you to use their own ViewNX2 application to both view and transfer images, whether using a card reader or directly connecting your camera to the computer. (The ViewNX2 application also came on a CD with your camera.) There may be other methods and applications to transfer the files, but I'm just not sure since I've never used an S3300 - but I think I have to use either NiewNX2 or Nikon Transfer to access the files on my wife's Nikon S630 camera.

Good luck,
Richard

Adela Registered since 29th Mar 2013Fri 29-Mar-13 05:39 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help to transfer pix into my computer"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you so much Sheri and Richard! How disappointing that my computer doesn’t have a memory card slot! The only thing I made them exclude when I bought it from Dell 2 years ago, was a speaker which I had from the previous computer but don’t recall their mentioning a memory card.

In re-reading the manual (has only 23 pages in English and very tiny print!) I realized that it gives 4 ways of transfer and the first one, just as you Richard indicated, is with only the USB cable they included, though it takes some doing. Also thanks so much for helping me find the USB hidden slot in the camera, I would’ve never found it without your help! Yes, the CD-ROM came also with the ViewNX2 application which I installed and, I now realize, with its “affiliate”? the ArcSoft Panorama Maker 6.

I’m trying the direct USB connection and is not going well. So far though I followed instructions to the letter...nothing comes out. I checked my Pictures program to see if they were there but no signs of them...I will keep trying and will let you know of any results. From just one answer from you I already learned so much about this subject!

Again thank you both a lot! Adela

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Sat 30-Mar-13 12:24 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help to transfer pix into my computer"
In response to Reply # 3

Sunnyvale, US

Adela,

I don't have ViewNX on this computer so I cannot check on anything... But I *think* I recall that the program has a default for where it stores any images it transfers. That default folder may not be the same folder where your Pictures program expects them to be. So ViewNX2 could be transferring the pictures, but you won't see them with your Pictures program unless you can direct the Pictures program to the same folder used by ViewNX2 to save the images. (Alternatively, you can probably tell ViewNX2 to use any specific folder you want for saving the transferred images - so you could tell it to use the folder where Pictures is looking for the images.)

This may, or may not, be your current problem but it should be a pretty simple matter to check where ViewNX2 is saving the files and also where your Pictures program is attempting to find them.

Good luck,
Richard

Adela Registered since 29th Mar 2013Sat 30-Mar-13 01:08 AM
#5. "RE: Help to transfer pix into my computer"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I got it!!! THANK YOU again Richard! I searched and searched and found them in Windows Live Photo Gallery. It was thrilling to see them all in my computer. Thank you so much! Adela

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS New to Photography (Public) topic #10490 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.